• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cape White Eye’s vent is swollen and battling to poop

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
I’m hoping someone here can help me.
I have a little Cape White Eye bird who has been showing signs of constipation for about a week now. I’ve had her at two different vets and she’s been a total of 5 times to get checked out. She’s had X-rays as vet suspected she was egg bound but found no egg.
she is struggling to get the poop out but her poop is not hard; it’s watery.
she’s now on a second lot of antibiotics.
my heart is shattered because no one can give me any real answers and I want my beloved bird to get better.
her vent area is hard to the touch and when she poops it looks like there is something blocking her poop from passing.
I’m worried she had a tumor or some kind of an obstruction. Vet didn’t mention it though but I’m desperate to get some kind of answer for my poor baby.
shes 7 years old on the 3rd of November but her life expectancy in captivity isup to 10 years.
Please help

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
This is her vent when she’s pushing.
she’s still eating as normal, it’s just the pooping she is struggling with.

Attachments

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like she's trying to pass an egg. My U2 was egg bound with her first egg. She strained to poop as well & she also cut back on food until the egg passed. I'd try setting her in warm water. You need it to reach her vent, so you'll have to hold her in it for about 20 minutes. Dry her off well (paper towel) & very carefully apply some coconut oil to her vent with a Q-tip. You can also give her coconut oil by syringe in her beak. Just a little, maybe 1/4 teaspoon (1.2ml). Place her in her cage & let her alone. Check on her every 20-30 minutes. This is what I did for my U2. An hour later she passed the egg. If your bird does not pass an egg in say the next 24 hours I'd get her back to the vet, get an x-ray to see if an egg is stuck or there is some obstruction.

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
Looks like she's trying to pass an egg. My U2 was egg bound with her first egg. She strained to poop as well & she also cut back on food until the egg passed. I'd try setting her in warm water. You need it to reach her vent, so you'll have to hold her in it for about 20 minutes. Dry her off well (paper towel) & very carefully apply some coconut oil to her vent with a Q-tip. You can also give her coconut oil by syringe in her beak. Just a little, maybe 1/4 teaspoon (1.2ml). Place her in her cage & let her alone. Check on her every 20-30 minutes. This is what I did for my U2. An hour later she passed the egg. If your bird does not pass an egg in say the next 24 hours I'd get her back to the vet, get an x-ray to see if an egg is stuck or there is some obstruction.
Thank you!

I’ll try this.
but she’s had 2 lots of X-rays one before the constipation started and then on Saturday after she was battling to poop. Vet said definitely no egg?!
But I’ll do what you suggested and pray for the best

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How is your bird doing now?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm so sorry. I'm very glad you have been seeking avian? Veterinarian help.

Diarrhea can cause straining and even prolapse. If it's abnormal watery , the cause should be found , bacteria, or yeast , or kidney issues.... naming a few
Can take u share a fresh poo pic?

Warm water soaks as mentioned above helped my egg bound girl. She had also developed an infection after egg passed. Treated with pain meds and antibiotics. She continued to strain( much reduced , and only when pooped) and had swollen vent tissue for almost a week post egg. I did soak her once to twice a day during her treatment.
It was a known egg tho. But I will say I felt the egg, could see the egg shape just above / in vent area. She passed the egg in the night, reflected by 6 gram weight loss the next day. Could no longer see the egg or feel the egg. But egg was never found. Freaked me out, conversation with my trusted Avian vet , and she said that had happened numerous times with her clients , even when egg was x ray seen, then x ray after not seen .

Sharing. But doesn't mean yours has/had an egg.

Sometimes a string or foreign body can be a cause . Has she shewed any fabric or rope or anything weird before this?

Is she eating well? Any weight changes?

Sometimes increased fiber foods can help gi issues. Like cooked sweet potato, cooked pumpkin puree.

Are the vets you've seen avian certified? 2 xrats you would think something some kind of idea would be found. Are they telling you what they suspect is the cause? Sometimes even the best , and frustratingly the cause can't be found.

I do hate hearing how your girl is suffering. And how hard you are trying to help. All my prayers to you

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
My poor baby is still straining to poop and the hard bulge seems to have moved closer to her vent.
I’m sure it’s an egg. It’s so hard when I feel it.
I called my vet again today and he said I must bring her back in tomorrow to be gassed and X-ray’ed yet again
It stresses her out terribly and this time they want me to drop her off and leave. I’m so worried about the stress it’s going to put her through and it’ll be the 3rd X-ray in just 2 weeks.
my heart is shattered and I don’t know what to do.
I’ve been soaking her in warm water but she does not like to be held so she struggles and her heart rate goes up
And she shakes terribly. I’m so afraid her heart gives in at the vet tomorrow.
I’ve been lubricating her vent and adding drops to her soaked pellets.
She’s still on antibiotics until tomorrow when her course is done.
She’s eating as normal just battling to pass her stools. Very big bulge at her vent.
I’m wondering if she is just not ready to lay yet?
I have no idea how long it takes for a tiny bird to make the egg before laying it.
she’s been straining to poop for over a week now

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen

Diarrhea can cause straining and even prolapse. If it's abnormal watery , the cause should be found , bacteria, or yeast , or kidney issues.... naming a few

Warm water soaks as mentioned above helped my egg bound girl. She had also developed an infection after egg passed. Treated with pain meds and antibiotics. She continued to strain( much reduced , and only when pooped) and had swollen vent tissue for almost a week post egg. I did soak her once to twice a day during her treatment.
It was a known egg tho. But I will say I felt the egg, could see the egg shape just above / in vent area. She passed the egg in the night, reflected by 6 gram weight loss the next day. Could no longer see the egg or feel the egg. But egg was never found. Freaked me out, conversation with my trusted Avian vet , and she said that had happened numerous times with her clients , even when egg was x ray seen, then x ray after not seen .

Sometimes a string or foreign body can be a cause . Has she shewed any fabric or rope or anything weird before this?

Sometimes increased fiber foods can help gi issues. Like cooked sweet potato, cooked pumpkin puree.

Are the vets you've seen avian certified? 2 xrats you would think something some kind of idea would be found. Are they telling you what they suspect is the cause? Sometimes even the best , and frustratingly the cause can't be found.

I do hate hearing how your girl is suffering. And how hard you are trying to help. All my prayers to you
Thank you for your prayers. My heart is really struggling with this.
5 vet visits and 2 X-rays and still no answers really takes a toll on my heart.
I just wish I could make her better.

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen

Oh and she has a heat lamp on 24/7 to keep her extra warm as vet said if it’s an egg then the warmth will help

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A little calcium boost is also supposed to help with passing eggs as it apparently helps to contract the muscles needed for egg pushing

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't know if it's an egg or not egg.

But I do know people should trust their guts. If you feel uncomfortable leaving her there, then tell them. Let them know you feel more comfortable waiting with her, then letting them take her back for the procedure.

Anesthesia is a risk. And the more Compromised the birds health the higher the risk. It becomes a risk/reward situation. Is this 3rd x-ray going to tell you anything different,,?

Also if you feel an egg in vent. Then the vet should be able to as well. Maybe you can ask for an awake exam with you there first to determine this. Then decide what next steps are needed .

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
I don't know if it's an egg or not egg.

But I do know people should trust their guts. If you feel uncomfortable leaving her there, then tell them. Let them know you feel more comfortable waiting with her, then letting them take her back for the procedure.

Anesthesia is a risk. And the more Compromised the birds health the higher the risk. It becomes a risk/reward situation. Is this 3rd x-ray going to tell you anything different,,?

Also if you feel an egg in vent. Then the vet should be able to as well. Maybe you can ask for an awake exam with you there first to determine this. Then decide what next steps are needed .
An update.
My poor baby was in fact egg bound.
Yesterday she had oxytocin, calcium and a vitamin injection but didn’t lay naturally. today she had the egg extracted under sedation. She survived the operation but now she’s still not in the clear as she could still form an infection from the procedure.
please keep Praying for her.
I’m so upset that she had to suffer for an entire week when the last vet who xrayed should’ve done something to help her.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
An update.
My poor baby was in fact egg bound.
Yesterday she had oxytocin, calcium and a vitamin injection but didn’t lay naturally. today she had the egg extracted under sedation. She survived the operation but now she’s still not in the clear as she could still form an infection from the procedure.
please keep Praying for her.
I’m so upset that she had to suffer for an entire week when the last vet who xrayed should’ve done something to help her.
I'm so glad the first steps were successful though!!! Will add prayers for full recovery!!

The eggs don't calcifie until 24 hrs(?) Or do before laying.. I'm not remembering exactly.

You did feel it tho! You were right. I'm sorry she has to strain so long.

Thank you for updating us. I'm really going to pray hard

Reactions: tka

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will pray your baby makes a full recovery.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
How's your bird doing today?
Did they go ahead and start antibiotics? It's a good idea to give them , to prevent infection in this case, rather than to wait sbd see if infection develops.

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
Hello everyone.
Millie is doing better by the day. She was on antibiotics that she just wasn’t reacting well to so we changed to Baytril as per vets orders.
she still has a ways to go but she’s eating well and is definitely in better spirits
Thanks for all the prayers ♥