• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape vs Jardine vs Red Bellied

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
I was recently thinking of getting a sun conure but stumbled upon this section of avian avenue and it got me really interested in these breeds.

I know that the personality of the bird really depends on the individual bird but I would appreciate if you guys could tell me the differences and the pros/cons of these larger poicephalus breeds.

Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I think it is more important to know what you are looking. For one thing, there is a size difference between all three and with greater size comes greater beak power. As such, the toys I give my Red bellies and the toys I give my Cape vary, as the Cape could destroy the RB toys with more ease. As she likes to be challenged, she gets toys that are harder to destroy.

In terms of personality, I find all my Pois to be a bit stubborn, which I like. They know what they like/don't like.

My Red bellies, especially the male (Joey), are little clowns and like it when you laugh at their antic. I would say the female (Pixel) is a little smarter than her brother, and there is some thought behind her actions.

I don't expect my birds to use human speech, and while some of my smaller Pois do say a few words, it is not their thing and that is totally fine. Léa on the other hand seems keen to want to learn some words and although we don't do any particular training to get her to speak, she is picking words and using them in context. She's built a few (very) short sentences and they made sense. She doesn't really repeat them on end, she uses them when she wants. Again, there is no expectation from us but it is always entertaining when she lets us hear something new.

All birds are susceptible to have a "terrible twos" period; out of the Pois I had young enough to see them go through that phase, the little ones weren't too bad. But Léa - she ensured it was a challenging time. She's now 6 and has calmed back down, and loves to sit with me and get her head scratched. Actually, all of my birds like that activity except Petey, who really likes my SO, so goes to him for attention.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
We have a few great informational threads on each one. Make sure to scroll and read the whole thread and not just the first post because many people contribute with respect to their personal experiences with each.

Capes: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Cape parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum and Cape Parrots: A Species Guide | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Jardine's: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Jardine's Parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Red Bellieds: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Red Bellied Parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I only have a Cape myself so I can't speak with personal experience about either Jardine's or Red Bellieds, but before I had my Cape, I was trying to decide between the two. When you research them on the internet, Jardine's are known for what is commonly referred to as "J'attitude," which scared me a little bit. Ultimately I finally met a Cape in person and finally understood what everybody means when they call them "Gentle Giants" and almost puppy-like in their goofiness. Those big, smiling beaks won me over-- it only took a few seconds. Like Natacha (Shade) said, the size does make a big difference though, as Lola (my Cape) is destructive beyond my wildest dreams and she plows though toys and perches and even destroyed one of my blinds recently in the few seconds I wasn't watching her.