• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape Parrot questions

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Just wondering if I could get info on these birds. Do they tend to be one person birds? Just not seeing a lot of info on these birds other then the sticky’s. Thank you in advanced.

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Cape parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Cape Parrots: A Species Guide | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Probaly more members with Cape, but i atleast know that @Shade have one

Also read this Article Cape Parrot - What Are Cape Parrots Like? Poicephalus Robustus

More Sites: Cape Parrot Facts, Pet Care, Behavior, Housing, Diet, Pictures | Singing Wings Aviary

Cape Parrot or Un-Cape Parrot? Read About This Gentle Giant And Fall In Love.

never underestimate Wiki...but thats more for reading about the parrot.
Cape parrot - Wikipedia

also look at Youtube

Also talk to breeders, they know alot about how they are..

make sure u check everything..i read alot about parrots...cuz i just love parrots..even if i cant have many of them :D

if you are unexperienced with birds its not a good first pick..but at same time have to start somewhere but make sure u know everything cuz they aint as easy as it might seems!

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
My male cape, Griffin, is 18 months old. I can't really comment to the one person bird because I am the only person in my household that consistently handles him. I've tried really hard to keep him socialized, so when I am able, I take him with me to family functions and people handle him, and he does pretty well. We haven't hit his "terrible twos" yet, so it remains to be seen how he will be once he is mature.

He is goofy, eager to please, stubborn, an excellent eater, an excellent mimic of sounds and several words, loves head/neck scratches, and gets into mischief. He is my dream bird and is all that I hoped he would be.

If you're on Facebook, there is a relatively active Cape Parrots group that may be able to give more info about mature birds.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I have a 3 year old Cape female, Zoey. She is very bonded to me but will allow hubby to feed her and clean cage if needed. She is a superb talker and quite a character! She adores head scritches and being cuddled - much like a cockatoo in that regard. She also is very easy to please and doesn't have to be handled every day to be content. She loves to be out on her atom or Wingdow perch. She will pretty much stay put unless it is to fly to her cage to eat/drink or go to bed. She has never bitten me either (knock on wood). She will say "Stop that!" if I try to get her off her atom and she wants to stay on it, and push my hand away with her beak admonishing me with a firm "No means no!!" I just love her. Hubby is very fond of her too despite her attitude towards him.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have a 7 year old Cape and she is perfectly fine with both my spouse and I. I have not really had her around other people, so she tends to be shy with strangers. With that said, she has gotten used to our birdsitter and seems to act normally around her.

I think it's all about how you socialize them. I could have done a better job at getting her used to many more people (I did so with my Senegal), but our situation when we got Léa was different and the opportunities to socialize weren't as abundant.