• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cant stop thinking...

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
About this Alexandrine I made friends with at the pet store today. So let me give you a layout.

Store is called Parrots of the World. Its owned by this guy named Mark who has 30 years of experience with birds and exotic animals (frankly I dont find ferrets exotic but...) he hand feeds these birds from day one. Socializes them and they socialize with eachothe . I'm sure every person that goes on there pets or attempts to pet them al .

Each species of birds has their own large cage and he (sadly) shoves a butt ton of them in one cag . (Seriousl . Like 20 GCCs all different Ages ranging from like 6weeks to maybe a few months old. Wouldnt they turn on one another or fight?)

So there is this large "pen" think of like a large short glass box (one that like fancy dog stores keep their dogs in) with different birds everytime I have gone in it's different birds. It's usually 2 red macaw that just chills and sleep and wat and step on the other smaller birds. Somerimes 2 eckies. And a few larger conure . This time it was like 5 black caps. The 2 Macaws and 2 Alexandrines.

So I go up to the pen and stick my hand in. The black cap . Nibble on my finger . 1 Alexandrine wouldnt let me near him. The other looked up at him and came to me and stepped up no proble .

So we hung out. He let me kiss his big candy corn beak and give his head pet . But only his hea . He made cute little noises. I asked him if he is just acting sweet and innocent to order to bribe his way home with me and once I get him home hell rip me apart. He gave me a cute "naaah.. not me" look. Anywa . I honestly fell in love.

SO. I read all 2 pages of the goo . The bad the ugly about Alexandrines and I read different sites and in still unhappy with it all. I mainly wanna know how they are as..companions. do they get along with other birds? Will they kill Zazu? Will Zazu annoy the ever living heck out of my Alexandrine?

Thanks for reading and any info or storie or hidden websites are awesome

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
bumper.gif

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You just never know how birds will interact with one another. The sheer size of an alexandrine and big beak could cause great harm to Zazu. Many green cheeks are fearless little buggars no matter what size the other bird is. You would have to make special times out and possibly keep them in separate rooms.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Big beaks and small beaks should not be put together. :naughty:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think with any two birds you have to start out assuming that they're not going to get along and be prepared for how you're going to deal with that. And the difference in size between the two, as said, would mean they shouldn't be put together. If you're prepared for separate cages, separate out of the cage time, etc., you can make it work.