• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can't get her to eat healthier...

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hello. So I have a female IRN, about 7 months old, and it seems she doesn't want to eat her veggies or her fruits. She only eats her pellets and some millet spray and that's about it. Daily, I unfreeze her some vegetables and put them outside the cage where she mostly spends her time. The problem is that she only eats corn, and as for the other vegetables she just grabs the veggie with her beak, and after two seconds she let it drop.
For fruits, the tastiest thing for her is the apple, but I only give a little since it contains sugar. I also give her a lot of berries and a little bit of banana, but she does the same thing with them as with the veggies. She drops them. I have noticed her sipping the leftover juice from them, but that's about it. I have also tried making juice for her, diluting it with some fresh water and putting a little bit of it in another food bowl. She sometimes licks about once or twice, but that's about it.
I'm thinking that maybe I should try making a puree out of the veggies if that's the only way she will eat veggies.
Do you somehow have any tips as to how I should make her eat veggies and fruits and convince her that it is actually tasty ?
I'm convinced that she is not a picky eater, maybe a little stubborn or unaccustomed.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I feel like I'm reading about Edgar. He is exactly the same. Drinking leftover juice from the veggies included. Sometimes I'm able to get some veggies into him. Today for example he was sitting on my shoulder and I was giving him by hand piece of veggies by piece. And he was slowly eating them.
I think in case of Edgar change of approach helps. Sometimes I give him pieces of veggies from my hand. Sometimes I offer variety of shapes (like one plate: chopped veggies mixed together, another plate: bigger pieces of different veggies put separately, third plate: cooked veggies). All of my family is laughing at me but Edgar gets interested with what I serve and tries from each plate. Even thought he eats only minimum amount from each plate, he still has some vitamins inside him.
The other time I was pretending the veggies are mine and he cannot have them. He immediately had to have them and ate some. Sometimes I eat with him (not always works - few days ago Edgar noticed I'm eating something and of course wanted to have what I have. When he saw that I have veggies he just turned his beak the other way).
Sometimes I give him really big pieces. He plays with them and eats some.
I've also noticed that sometimes it helps not to give him veggies one day. The next day he would eat a little bit more.
I'm still working on him because I know he should eat more veggies, but for now I'm happy with what I get.
Oh, and I offer him veggies in different times of the day. Also noticed it seems to work better than offering always at the same time.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Eat them with her! Show her how yummy they are, present them with enthusiasm, but do watch the corn, high in carbs and can cause yeast issues in the crop.