1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary Winged Parakeet/Bee-Bee Parrot - Need Some Advice & Help**

Discussion in 'Other Parrot Lane' started by xBirdLover97, 3/16/17.

1. xBirdLover97

xBirdLover97 Moving in

Taytum McKee
    ( I'm sorry if I put this thread in the wrong category. I'm really new here ^_^')

Hello I'm xBirdLover97. I purchased a Bee Bee Parrot about 5 months ago, and he's starting to act up, he's about a year old. I'm not sure what may be causing this because I am kinda new to this whole owning a small parrot thing.

1.) He has been throwing his Sunburst seeds out of the dish. He does not eat any of it, just throws out everything. Along with a conure blend gourmet and fresh veggies and fruits + cooked everyday. This behavior started after I changed his seeds, because I thought I could get a similar conure blend gourmet at a local pet store. Which did not work out so well... he started throwing them. So I contacted the breeder I got my parrot from and told them what happened, they then let me buy some conure blend gourmet from them, which is where I get my conure blend from now on. But whenever I switched back to the sunburst the breeder had been feeding him, he just throws it all out, I have no choose but to remove them from the cage because I can not waste money on seeds that go to waste. So please if anyone has something similar to this happen and fixed it then please give me some tips!!

2.) He's tail feathers will not grow in. They keep breaking off. I figured the cause of this may be from the lack of his seeds. He always eats the conure blend gourmet, but never the sunburst

These are my main concerns so far, so if anyone could help me it would be really appreciated! Thanks for your time :)

P.S. If some could let me know hoe to link a video to this thread I can (I have one of him throwing seeds) Also I can send photos of his tail or give more detail on each problem

2. Tim

Tim Rollerblading along the road Super Moderator

Hi, and welcome! I don't know the answer to your question, but I moved your post to a more appropriate location! Maybe we need to add a "Brotogeris Byway" section!
    To upload a video, you need to have it loaded to a video site (YouTube, Vimeo), then copy the link an paste it in the section for video (looks like film strips in the header)

expressmailtome likes this.
  3. Tim

4. xBirdLover97

xBirdLover97 Moving in

Taytum McKee
    Thanks for moving it. Sorry about putting it in the wrong section ^^' Also thanks a ton for sending me info on that BeeBee parrot diet, a lot of new stuff I could try out with him

5. Cat The Great

Cat The Great Checking out the neighborhood

Caitlyn
    Hi xBirdLover97! I'm new to birdkeeping as well. I've had my bee bee parrot for about 8 months. She is on pellet food because I was told by the person I bought her from that it is better to feed them pellet food so that they can't pick out anything in particular. Now about the tail feathers your bird might be lacking in vitamin A and/or calcium. I hope this information proved helpful.

6. Porter

Porter Meeting neighbors

Maggie
    Alrighty first off, Broto's are STUBBORN little brats.

And well known for being picky eaters; changing diets with them can be tricky as all get up. In the wild they are natural fruit eaters; and don't all that often eat seeds. I'd recommend a slow weaning off of the seeds at first and introduce a pelleted diet. Offer both in two seperate bowels... and at certain times of the day REMOVE the seeds.

Offer nuitriberri's as well because the fruit flavored ones are 30% pellets and have more of a variety in them than usual pellets.

Porter my broto was hard as anything to get trained onto a proper diet; I've been working with him for YEARS now. What is yours like behavior wise?

7. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    I find it interesting that Shady Pines doesn't feed their brotos pellets. I would feel that any more than 50% of a brotos diet as pellets would be too much... seeds should still be an important part of the diet. Unless pellets have been "corrected" for small species, a diet high in pellets could result in renal failure or gout in small birds.

If your broto is tossing food, it's quite possible that you are feeding *too much*. You may need to consider cutting back on how much you feed. When it comes to dry food, I try not to feed more than what my birds would consume within a day, and then some. They always get fresh food daily.

Maybe try feeding sprouts instead of seeds?

A lack of seeds in the diet would *never* cause tail feathers to break. Broken tail feathers are more likely to be caused by clipped flight feathers, rough play, inappropriate sized cage, poor placement of toys and perches, or???

8. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Sprinting down the street

I heard they need nectar and fruit and maybe some canned insects. I would go as much as possible with fresh food.

9. Tim

10. xBirdLover97

xBirdLover97 Moving in

Taytum McKee
    Thanks for the feedback! For the pellet food is there any special type I should get? And for the drops would this type work? Bird Vitamins & Supplements: eCOTRITION Skin & Plumaage Supplement at Drs Foster & Smith or Bird Vitamins & Supplements: HagenĀ® Prime concentrated, Vitamin, Mineral, Amino Acid Supplement If these are not correct could you, please send me to the correct vitamin/calcium drops. I do not want to get some knock off version that will not help.

11. xBirdLover97

xBirdLover97 Moving in

Taytum McKee
    Seemed that I have learned they are picky eaters the hard way, lol. It appears like everyone is telling me to wean him over to a pellet diet, now should that be his main dish? Should I continue to give him the conure blend gourmet and replace the Sunburst with the pellets? Also, how does weaning work with a bird that does not eat any of the seeds he throws? He will not stop until the bowl is empty.

Below is a video showing what he does with them.

Other than that problem he is a great bird. He is really cuddly, loves to talk (But can get very loud sometimes), not a very curious bird (gets spooked by a lot of things), only likes me (gets aggressive around some of my family members/new people. I have been trying to train him out of that behavior by letting new people give him treats whenever they visit, so he sees new people as good things), can get nippy sometimes, and he loves attention.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Monica likes this.
  12. xBirdLover97

xBirdLover97 Moving in

Taytum McKee
    I do not think I put to much in.... I fill it a little below a half, which is not very much at all, but enough for him to get his fill. Plus he eats fresh seeds everyday.

As for his tail feathers they were fine until he took a bath in his water bowl. They broke and they never grew back in correctly, always breaking before they are fully grow in.

In one of the threads above I a video of what his does with them. If you want you can check it out and see if it might explain some things.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

Monica likes this.
  13. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    Preferably a dye-free, sugar-free pellet. Harrison's, Roudybush, LaFebers, TOP's.....

Zupreem is often readily accepted by many birds, however it does contain sugar, and some lines do contain dyes as well.

I'm not a fan of Ecotrition, personally... and if a bird is on a healthy diet, you do not want to supplement with additional vitamins and minerals unless directed by an avian vet.

I wouldn't recommend more than 50/50 seeds to pellets, and with this taking up 50-75% of his diet, with the rest being fresh foods.

Weaning onto a new diet can be done in one of several ways.

Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You might try picking up some Budgie/Parakeet/Cockatiel blend instead and see if he prefers that over the Conure blend.

As long as he's healthy and not bleeding out, then the tail feathers may not be a big issue. If you are concerned you can take him to an avian vet for a checkup.

As far as throwing out the food... what about feeding him fresh food in the morning, then the seeds at night? Or, as I previously mentioned, trying a mix for smaller birds?

He might even be interested in foraging activities that make him work for his food! There's a lot of ideas out there!

Foraging for Parrots
    Parrot Enrichment

Enrichment For Your Parrot

Tim likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)