1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary wing/Brotogeris parrot personality?

Discussion in 'Other Parrot Lane' started by Featheredfuffs, 5/28/17.

1. Featheredfuffs

Featheredfuffs Meeting neighbors

I just read a little about the canary-wing parakeet, and they sound exactly what I'm looking for, from what I can tell. If anyone with more experience than me could add to the little list of pros and cons that I've made, that would be great! Thanks!

Pros:
    Adventurous
    Affectionate
    Inquisitive
    Active

Cons:
    Bold (could be a pro or con)
    Accident-prone

I'm especially interested in the canary-wing, but really if anyone has any info on any
    Brotogeris species, I'd love any insight! Thanks!

2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    schnitzle and Featheredfuffs like this.
  3. Cat The Great

Cat The Great Sitting on the front steps

Caitlyn
    Hi Featheredfuffs! I own a canary-wing named Georgie and she is great. Here is the pro and con list that I came up with. Pros:
    Very sweet
    Affectionate
    Very hands on
    Loves attention
    Is happy to go to anyone.
    Usually very quiet

Cons:
    Troublemaker ( my bird does try to kill the cat or anyone else she doesn't like)
    Very Stubborn and will do anything to get their way
    Can be hesitant to try new things
    Be very loud ( sounds like car alarm closest that I can come up with to describe it

I hope this hope this pro and cons list helps you!;)

Featheredfuffs likes this.
  4. Featheredfuffs

Featheredfuffs Meeting neighbors

Oh wow thanks so much!!!! That was super helpful!!!

I've decided to get one, and a breeder who I've been talking to just sent a picture of my baby. I've already named her Delilah (I'm not DNA sexing, but if she turns out to be a boy, she'll just be Dell) :):heart::cwpkt:(this is the canary wing, right?)

My little guy:

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6/14/17
    Milestone, schnitzle and aooratrix like this.
  5. Cat The Great

Cat The Great Sitting on the front steps

Caitlyn
    Yes, this is a canary-wing and she is sooo cute!!:heart: Congratulations!!

6. javi

javi Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

JAVI
    Why not dna sex. You can submit the dna sample yourself. I have used IQ bird testing 3 times in the last year and all were accurate for $10. I had two of the birds already sexed so when the results came back matching I had no choice but to trust. They can do it with either a couple of drops of blood on an index card or with a few pluicked chest feathers.

7. schnitzle

schnitzle Walking the driveway

Leah
    I'm sorry I missed this! Caitlyn is a more experienced canary-wing owner than I am anyway :)

Congrats on Delilah! I think I saw your posts on the yahoo canary-winged parakeet forums. I'm so excited for you!

I'll only had my CWP Clover for 2 1/2 weeks, but what I can tell you is that she has been what I'd call a very confident bird.
    She wasn't scared coming home in a travel cage like I expected her to be, and she loved exploring her cage and toys. She was eating and drinking well the first night home. A week later though, along with that confidence has been her feeling comfortable telling us not to touch the stuff in her cage or that she doesn't want to step up right then. We're working on that. In the snuggle department, we have what we call "baby times" where she gets all puffed up and enjoys some head rubs and makes little peeping sounds. :xflove: I feel like she's got a pretty big personality in a small package.

I think you'll love your little Delilah (or Dell) and I hope you'll post a lot of photos!!

Tags:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)