• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Canary neighbor update.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
It must be frustrating for you..waiting. You have taken several steps to help..well done you. Its a brave move to report someone and it takes courage to do it.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Has it been long since you contacted the animal welfare?

Just keep ringing them with your concerns, even if it is twice in one day. This then paints a picture for them and they will soon be out

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Has it been long since you contacted the animal welfare?

Just keep ringing them with your concerns, even if it is twice in one day. This then paints a picture for them and they will soon be out
I left them an email late last night and called this morning. I might not hear back for a little, as it's a holiday week-end here in Quebec.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Is buying the birds from them an option for you?
I have no idea, tbh. I'm in a position to at least buy the red boy, if he's willing to sell. It's not the greatest time for us to take in a sick bird since we're going to be renovating soon, but I should be able to keep him in the laundry room. But I don't know if he'd be willing to sell.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
It must be frustrating for you..waiting. You have taken several steps to help..well done you. Its a brave move to report someone and it takes courage to do it.

Wow it takes bravery and courage to send an email or a phone call, my god that is so brave and courageous. So at what point in time did this email or phone call actually made the canaries live better?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow it takes bravery and courage to send an email or a phone call, my god that is so brave and courageous. So at what point in time did this email or phone call actually made the canaries live better?
Shinobi back off. He’s doing the best he can - he has to live beside these people you know! And it is a holiday weekend in Canada.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
View attachment 280116
How did that go??

I'm sorry it's unrelated to the original post but whoa!
Here is where I posted about it.
[URL="http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/re-homing-not-so-easy-is-it.203995/page-5#post-2796916"]Re-homing. Not so easy is it?[/URL]

I also used to take battered women to court from the shelter, the men would start on them at the courthouse and I’d get in their face (I’m 5’3). It worked. Apparently I lack the gene that makes you afraid.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Shinobi back off. He’s doing the best he can - he has to live beside these people you know! And it is a holiday weekend in Canada.

Open forum.
Well obviously this is not the first time it's happen. So the "holiday weekend" excuse is a poor one at best and then have someone (clairecanary15) tell you how brave and courageous you are. All because you made a phone call / email which in all reality is just procrastinating. If he had "rescued" the birds then that would be brave, courageous and righteous. People should improvise, adapt and overcome.

There is no "afraid' gene it's just a state of mind. So don't put yourself on a pedestal.
I too, don't get scared of people or care what people think or say about me.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I feel bad enough as it is and I don't feel brave at all, but what else can I do? If I hop the fence and take him and someone sees me, it's not like I can run. My neighbors know me, and there are a lot of people out in their gardens or on their porches. Stealing him will only get the cops called to my door and stress him out. At best, they take him back and I've put him through unnecessary stress.

I don't mind you saying stuff, but it is a holiday week-end here. It's Saint Jean Baptiste day, which is a huge thing in Quebec.
Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day - Wikipedia

I don't think there is a scared gene either, but I do have severe anxiety issues. I've spoken about it before, but I'll take a picture of my pill bottles if you need proof. I really don't need the cops knocking at my door, either.

If this bird has mites or some other disease, I'd also be putting my own birds at risk by snatching him.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Well obviously this is not the first time it's happen.
Yes, and I've taken steps to try and avoid just stealing the birds or getting the SPCA involved when this might have still been solved by talking to the owner and warning him of the dangers. Now that he knows it's dangerous and is still doing It, I'm doing what I can.

ETA: I didn't know he had a sick bird. Originally, I only saw one yellow canary who was in good health. I only got a good look at the red boy's head when his owner put him closer to the fence. I'd seen him two or so times before speaking to the owner, but all I could make out of him before was his color.

Last edited:

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Garet is obviously doing the best that they can!
Tresspassing in the united states even for the rescue of an animal can become a felony if you remove the animal from the property. Courageous maybe... but ruining a life in the process and then costly fees and court dates and so on?
Sometimes all you can do is email or make a phone call, it may have happened before but perhaps Garet didn't pay close attention because even looking over a fence sometimes can be seen as an intrusion of privacy!
Garet takes excellent care of all their birds, takes in so many unwanted birds even to above and beyond what is needed.

Keep it up @Garet

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Omg..in this world..work place or a forum..there is always one. This one would take on the whole world ...

Back to reality..

@finchly well done..
@Garet

Just carry on and dont argue with the one who does not care or listen. You are your own boss and only have yourself to answer too..not a twirp on here lol. Your doing great..dont feed the idiots with more words they will sadly thrive on it..stay on point hey and keep the good ones up to date

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Omg..in this world..work place or a forum..there is always one. This one would take on the whole world ...

Back to reality..

@finchly well done..
@Garet

Just carry on and dont argue with the one who does not care or listen. Your doing great
I don't really mind having this discussion tbh. I'd hate to ignore those posts and make it seem like I'm only here to complain and ignore these birds.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma

So do you standby and let a cat or squirrel succeed in killing and devouring the canaries or do you gain some intestinal fortitude and
A; be more forceful in telling your neighbour.
B; tell the neighbour that you intend to complain to a animal protection agency.
C; jump the fence and reposition the cages out of reach of cats and squirrels.
D; jump the fence and rescue them.
Of course you can choose the safe road, complain on-line and follow the correct route and make excuses
Open forum.
Well obviously this is not the first time it's happen. So the "holiday weekend" excuse is a poor one at best and then have someone (clairecanary15) tell you how brave and courageous you are. All because you made a phone call / email which in all reality is just procrastinating. If he had "rescued" the birds then that would be brave, courageous and righteous. People should improvise, adapt and overcome.

There is no "afraid' gene it's just a state of mind. So don't put yourself on a pedestal.
I too, don't get scared of people or care what people think or say about me.
Hey man calm down. I was just going to disregard your comments, but you're getting a bit out of hand.

As heroic as it sounds, jumping fences and rescuing in this situation can also be considered trespassing and stealing. It's been said here before and I'm going to say it again: @Garet is dealing with neighbors, so they have to deal with it with as carefully and responsibly as possible. What you're saying that "People should improvise, adaptand overcome." Is a lot easier said than done. You're not thinking about the legal repercussions. It has to be a balance. You have to improvise, adapt, and overcome within certain legal constraints.

People just want to help here. Be it with a direct advice or words of encouragement. Just because this is an 'open forum' doesn't justify your current attitude, so back off.