• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Canary neighbor update.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I finally spoke to them the other day and warned them about the cats. And they left their birds outside unattended. Again.

There is more than one cage.

None of the two i saw were the house-style cage the little yellow one had.

20180622_182517.jpg
You can just barely make out the yellow dishes through the leaves. I think it's a male, as both of these were singing non stop.
20180622_184716.jpg
The back of the little red boy's head makes me sad....
20180622_183532.jpg
It looks all crusted and scabbed over.
20180622_184832.jpg

Reactions: Jas

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Maybe you should jump the fence and hang the cages off the ground higher.
Maybe contact animal control and express your concern about the bird's environment.
Maybe you could rescue them?.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Maybe you should jump the fence and hang the cages off the ground higher.
Maybe contact animal control and express your concern about the bird's environment.
Maybe you could rescue them?.
I'm not sure if animal control will come out for canaries. :shifty: I could give them a try. This little guy looks real sick...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What are the big red things? Palm nuts? Maybe they care but are bird stupide???

CAt could probably tip over the cage & it would likely come apart & be lunch.

Can't really see the head & the protective agencies can only do so much .

Sometimes cage, food & water is all they can require..the rest gets tricky.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Garet, if you do happen to rescue them, and of course i would never suggest something like stealing birds that are being abused (cough cough)... that red one could have mites. It could also be due to diet, but just in case please keep it separate from yours.

You know. Hypothetically speaking.

Remember I'm the one who stole back a horse once. NO one ever said I had any sense.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
What are the big red things? Palm nuts? Maybe they care but are bird stupide???

CAt could probably tip over the cage & it would likely come apart & be lunch.

Can't really see the head & the protective agencies can only do so much .

Sometimes cage, food & water is all they can require..the rest gets tricky.
They were grapes. Just whole grapes. I'm not sure if canaries can eat grapes or not.

I warned them about the cats, but they still left them outside unattended. I don't know if squirrels eat birds, but there was one trying to sneak closer to the cage.

The only time I've seen people outside with them is when the landlord's kids come out to play with their little terrier.

Garet, if you do happen to rescue them, and of course i would never suggest something like stealing birds that are being abused (cough cough)... that red one could have mites. It could also be due to diet, but just in case please keep it separate from yours.

Remember I'm the one who stole back a horse once. NO one ever said I had any sense.
I'm not sure what to do tbh. I don't know if he's treating them for mites or what. (Really doubt he is, but...)
From what I've seen, the little guy's nest was full of cotton balls. Is that good for them?

Shinobi

Jogging around the block

I believe that the definition of rescuing is completely different from stealing.
However I'm sure there's agencies that can prosecute the owners for failing to provide the basics for a animal.

Which would include food, water and medical care. Also the ability to access shade if required.

Reactions: Jas

Garet

Real Name
Garet
They do! I was traumatized seeing one kill and eat a whole bird, sans feathers, before :gag:
..... :omg:

And these poor birds are right near the plum and pear trees the squirrels love.

We get huuuuge squirrels here.

20180623_001036.jpg
This was a small one but it got way closer to the cage before I scared it off. It got to the metal pole in the fence before taking off, even with me approaching. It was super fixated on the birds.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I believe that the definition of rescuing is completely different from stealing.
However I'm sure there's agencies that can prosecute the owners for failing to provide the basics for a animal.

Which would include food, water and medical care. Also the ability to access shade if required.
I'm not sure if the agencies here would do anything. But yeah, this is ridiculous, I'm at least going to make a complaint. I've already warned the guy leaving them outside about the feral colonies in the area.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Oh blimey what a situation.

So you've had gentle words about these poor little birds and still nothing.

Clearly Im not from America but is there an animal welfare organisation there? Contact them..its now an emergency. If no joy..cant believe Im saying this...rescue them and take them away ...do you have a friend who you could borrow for a week or 2 to help rehabilitate the birds. Like @finchly said dont put them near yours.

It is an issue as to where you would take them..if they know you have them they may ring the police for stealing..best to have them else where..or take them to a bird rescue...better idea hey...leave the cages behind..probably riddled with nasties. Id do a sas mission and whizz them to the bird rescue place..there must be a local one to you

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I'm not sure if the agencies here would do anything. But yeah, this is ridiculous, I'm at least going to make a complaint. I've already warned the guy leaving them outside about the feral colonies in the area.

It's law.
Causing damage or injury
446. (1) Every one commits an offence who

(a) by wilful neglect causes damage or injury to animals or birds while they are being driven or conveyed; or
(b) being the owner or the person having the custody or control of a domestic animal or a bird or an animal or a bird wild by nature that is in captivity, abandons it in distress or wilfully neglects or fails to provide suitable and adequate food, water, shelter and care for it.
Punishment
(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than two years; or
(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months or to both.
Check out this link.
Canadian Criminal Sentencing/Offences/Animal Cruelty - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
So could he get advice from the police?

Im all for going down the correct route. This is now a desperate situation

So do you standby and let a cat or squirrel succeed in killing and devouring the canaries or do you gain some intestinal fortitude and
A; be more forceful in telling your neighbour.
B; tell the neighbour that you intend to complain to a animal protection agency.
C; jump the fence and reposition the cages out of reach of cats and squirrels.
D; jump the fence and rescue them.
Of course you can choose the safe road, complain on-line and follow the correct route and make excuses

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
for cruelty to survive, it only take good people to stand by and do nothing.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm not just complaining online. I've already said I'm making a complaint. Still not sure if the SPCA is going to do anything, but I'm at least going to contact them with pictures of the red canary. If they can't or won't do something, I'm going to offer to buy him and bring him to the vet if they'll sell him. I might do it regardless of if they agree to come take a look or not. Vet records would only help with a case.