• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary in state of shock?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Good morning folks, so I did my routine thorough cleaning of my birds cages today, and one of my birds seemed to react oddly like never before. I take them into my kitchen and set them on the counter on top of some napkins while I clean the bottom of their cages. Usually they just chill out while I clean, but one of my canaries froze, started making a weird noise and started slipping off a branch to the bottom of the cage. I immediately moved them away from the kitchen and she sat at the bottom for one minute.

She is okay now and back to flying/chirping. I do wonder though what this was? This is the second time she reacted with fear. The first time I calmed her down and cleaned the cage but this time she was even more scared. If anyone is aware of this condition please let me know.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She needs to see a vet. Doesn't sound normal for fear/shock, sounds more like a partial seizure. Of course it will look like shock afterwards, it's quite a strange experience losing control in that way.
Keep her warm and make sure she drinks til you get to the vet.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
It does sound like a frightened reaction. The first time it happened...was the cage out in exactly the same place for their clean up? Near a window? Near shiny reflective things? Mine scatter as a flock when in free flight with sudden moving sun hitting reflection's...

If she appears fine dont stress her further with a vets outing. Last resort only for these birds.

@finchly bit of a puzzler...

Adam21

Strolling the yard
She needs to see a vet. Doesn't sound normal for fear/shock, sounds more like a partial seizure. Of course it will look like shock afterwards, it's quite a strange experience losing control in that way.
Keep her warm and make sure she drinks til you get to the vet.
She recovered pretty quickly so I didn't end up taking her. The noise she was making was strange though, and losing control was odd. I really don't know what triggers it. I have windows all over the house and she doesn't react that way.

It went from 0 to 100 back to 0 pretty quickly which is why I assumed she just freaked out as opposed to a neurological condition.

Canaries do that sometimes, finches less often. I think it's just a stress reaction? @Clairecanary15 what do you think?
Yeah I assume it is a stress reaction or sort of like what would be an anxiety attack for humans.

It does sound like a frightened reaction. The first time it happened...was the cage out in exactly the same place for their clean up? Near a window? Near shiny reflective things? Mine scatter as a flock when in free flight with sudden moving sun hitting reflection's...

If she appears fine dont stress her further with a vets outing. Last resort only for these birds.

@finchly bit of a puzzler...
Yes, I put them on the counter near the sink, I remove the top of the cage and set it unto some napkins. In the past she was fine, now she gets triggered very easily. And this was before I even removed the bottom of the cage. She seems to know I want to clean during these moments. If I just put them all in the kitchen/family room to sit with us she is usually normal.

If me separating the cage triggers it I may have to put them into a spare empty cage I have laying around while I clean their main one up.

Last edited: