• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Canary flew out and ate Salt! Please Help!

Adam21

Strolling the yard
As title says, my male canary somehow managed to fly out. I open the middle of both cages to each other, and they fly into each one. Someone in the house wiped the table and pushed the cages away. And left just enough distance apart for him to fly out. He flew out, I had to try getting him back into his cage trying to lure him back. He went to the basement and there was a bit of salt on the ground, which he began chewing and eating. I managed to get him in a cardboard box and now he's back in the cage. However, he is puffy and his eyes are squinting, closing shut sometimes. I'm not sure if this is due to the salt or just him getting scared from the whole experience. Anything I need to do immediately to treat him?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of salt? If anything but table salt I would contact a vet or poison control asap.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
What kind of salt? If anything but table salt I would contact a vet or poison control asap.
Seems like ordinary food salt, the black cylinder type one used in food. He's worrying me by puffing up and squinting his eyes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Seems like ordinary food salt, the black cylinder type one used in food. He's worrying me by puffing up and squinting his eyes.

Then call a vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
VET ASAP

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Salt toxicity is a very real thing, how much salt did he eat?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Thank you all, my father said he will be fine, he didn't eat much(salt). I noticed he was drinking more water than usual, and soon he got right back to normal. Started eating, moving around, feeding his babies, also trying to mate again. He looks much better, if I notice anything else tomorrow I will consider getting him to an vet.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Thank you all, my father said he will be fine, he didn't eat much(salt). I noticed he was drinking more water than usual, and soon he got right back to normal. Started eating, moving around, feeding his babies, also trying to mate again. He looks much better, if I notice anything else tomorrow I will consider getting him to an vet.
I'm glad he didn't eat much. In the future please do seek medical advice sooner rather than later. As I said salt toxicity is a real thing and you may not be as lucky if he gets into something else.