• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary dies overnight

Livestrong

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and my canary is the first bird I have ever had. We have only had him for about three years and he was my little buddy. My wife came in his room this morning to find him lifeless on the bottom of the crate and I am devastated.

I guess I will start from what I consider the beginning. We went on vacation in late June/early July and our neighbor came over every morning/evening to take care of him while we were gone. She said he acted normal and sang for him and everything. We came back and he didn't seem to be singing much, but this also seems to be molesting time so I didn't think anything of it.

Then a few weeks ago, when we went to uncover him in the morning, he was on the bottom of his cage just sitting there. I sat with him for a good half hour and thought maybe he hurt his wing and couldn't get back up, so I went to put food and water down there with him. Well that startled him and he immediately flew up to his perch and that was the end of that weird behavior. Still no singing of any sort yet however.

Fast forward to yesterday and the new weirdness was i would keep finding him sitting in his food bowl. Sometimes he would be eating, other times he would just be sitting there. I thought maybe he couldn't find any fresh stuff, so I threw it out and filled it with all fresh and he happily flew to it and chowed down. I would still find him sitting in there throughout the day, but otherwise he seemed normal.

Later that day, my wife and I found these little Autumn themed canary figures that I though he would like, so we got them and I put them on his window sill. He eyed them curiously for a while and then started making curious squawk at them, but I know he wasn't afraid because he got on his perch right near them to investigate, and within a few minutes was indifferent to them.

I put him to be normally other then he was cuddled up to his mirror. This isn't unheard of as he always did this occasionally, but he usually preferred to sleep in his coconut. I sang him his bedtime song and told him I loved him like every night and you know the end to the story already.

I have no idea if any of the events in any of this are related, but I figured I would tell as much as I could. I have no idea what happened to the little guy, and my heart is broken. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
i am so sorry for you loss.

Natalia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natalia
Oh no :( was he a baby when you got him? Or maybe he was older? It could've been his age, maybe? I'm so sorry for your loss :(

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry for your loss too.
I don't know much about canaries so I could be wrong but I wonder if "him" sitting in his food bowl means your bird could have actually been a girl who got egg bound?

The only way to really know what happened though is to get a necropsy done, and even those are not always conclusive

I'm so sorry!
:sadhug2:

Livestrong

No idea how old he actually was as I don't know how long he was in petstore before we got him, but he really didn't grow in the time we got him. I often wondered as well if maybe he could have been a she also, but I always thought the female Canadiens really didn't sing at all? It was just so sudden.=/

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I am truly sorry for your loss. Our furry and feathered friends are not just creatures, they are members of our families.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I'm sorry for your loss and it sounds like you did everything right. Unfortunately with little guys they are over brad which means he could have had a prolem that you had no way of knowing about. It's happened to me.
Don't let it put you off from getting another but this time look for a breeder. It soulds like you really loved him and I love the singing at night.
If you do decide to get another besure to disinfect the cage,toys etc thoroughly. Good Luck:(

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Aww I am so sorry for your loss :(

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
so sorry for your loss :(
bird are very good at hiding their illness. any difference from the norm could either be nothing or that start of the illness. sometimes even the most watchful owners miss the signs.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If he sang, he was a boy. The hens just chirp.

so sorry for your loss :(
bird are very good at hiding their illness. any difference from the norm could either be nothing or that start of the illness. sometimes even the most watchful owners miss the signs.
That's it exactly, especially with the little guys, by the time you realize something is wrong it is too late. They hide their illness. I am so sorry.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:cry3: :sorrow:

Livestrong

It has been very hard and thank you everyone for the kind words. I saw his canary friends yesterday looking for him when I came home from work and it teared me up again.=( I have him buried in a potted plant by the window where I kept his cage, it hurts looking at it, but it is comforting as well.=/

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Really sorry for your loss, that is indeed strange. It is difficult to diagnose these birds on our own but I always try keeping a lookout to see any signs of illness.