• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary clipping?

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
Should I clip my canaries nails, or should I just get a sand perch? and if so clipping how often should i clip his nails? (i have not got him yet just doing recerch)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I thought you wanted to get his wings clipped lol! Thankfully you don’t! I am not sure, I don’t have canaries but I think it is the same as with parrots, if his nails become too long, clip them. They are too long when they touch a flat surface they are standing on. You can get various sizes perches to prevent his nails from getting too long.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I've read multiple sites and forums that sand perches aren't good for canaries because the rough surface would injure their little feet--they're not as thick as the bigger birds.

The last time I had to clip Peeps' nails, I had someone holding him so I got to focus on clipping them. We made sure to do it in a well it area so I could see his vains. I got the nail clipper for small pets from Amazon, it seemed to do the job well.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable grabbing Peeps though. So I'm also considering taking him to the vet instead since they provide the service. However, I don't want to put him through the stress of travel and strangers grabbing him either... I think I'll have to practice lol

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I occasionally catch my male and clip his nails with fingernail clippers. My females' nails never need it. Cut the claws sideways, opposite how you cut your nails, and do it in bright light to avoid cutting the blood vessel visible inside the nail.

Avoid sandpaper perch covers, but provide varied branches or even a pumice perch to help them wear their nails naturally. For many birds this is enough, but some will still need trimming.