• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary Cage

babybluebird

Moving in
I am thinking about getting a canary, I’m still trying to ‘educate’ myself before I make my decision. I have been looking at cages and like the Hagen Vision ones, does anyone have a canary in one of these? I was wondering if the larger one would be preferable to the medium and the single or double cage height? Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I have a few Hagens, and they're alright. They can be a bit of a pain to change, since the Vision cages I have don't really have the tray that you can just slide out, and I don't really like the bottom grate. Poop just tends to get stuck to it, and it's even more tedious and harder to clean than a newspaper at the bottom of a cage. It doesn't help that I always worry about my birds getting their feet stuck in them, since even though I have larger cages for my tiel and lovebirds, the grates are a lot narrower. I've removed the bottom grate from all of my Hagens cages.

As a rule of thumb, bigger is always better for most birds. Just make sure you're getting the right bar spacing for a canary, and be wary of the perches they provide with the cages as well, as they often come with dowel perches which aren't good for a bird's feet.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yep I agree, bigger is always better. Also, it is better to have a longer cage that is less high, then a high cage that has less horizontall space. They don’t fly a lot up and down, but do fly a lot horizontally.
No experience with that cage though!
You are doing well educating yourself first:heart:

Reactions: Jas

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I looked briefly at the Vision cages you are talking about (never had one). I have heard really good things about them, but I just want to give you my opinion about cage size. Even the large is not that big. I raise finches, which are considerably smaller than canaries - at least my Gloster canaries. I advise never to buy a finch cage smaller than 30x18x18. But the canary is bigger, so I'd say a flight cage would be a really good idea if you can swing it. A flight is like 2 of the cages I mentioned stacked on top of each other - so 30X18X36 at the least.

babybluebird

Moving in
Thank you for your advice, my issue is that I already have a double flight cage in my living room with 2 linnies and 2 parrotlets in it so I can’t really accommodate a massive cage. I spotted the Ferplast Piano 6 which is bigger than the Hagen Vision - is it okay??? Really want a canary but don’t want to home it unsuitably.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you for your advice, my issue is that I already have a double flight cage in my living room with 2 linnies and 2 parrotlets in it so I can’t really accommodate a massive cage. I spotted the Ferplast Piano 6 which is bigger than the Hagen Vision - is it okay??? Really want a canary but don’t want to home it unsuitably.
Yes it should be fine!

babybluebird

Moving in
Fabulous, thank you. Do canaries like tents to sleep in? Also, I will provide a bath each day but should I use a water dispenser for drinking so the canary doesn’t use their water for bathing ? For my other birds I use metal feeding bowls - I like them cos I can put them in the dishwasher but I was thinking that a seed dispenser might be better for canary????? Finally one canary or two? I was thinking one because if cage size and my other 4 birds would provide excellent company. Sorry for asking so many questions.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Haha no worries.
I do not use tents for any of my birds, in case they pull la thread and tangle or something. So I don't know about using them for canaries.

Bath, yes. They love baths. Don't be surprised if they also bathe in the drinker AND on their veggies!

They aren't picky about what they eat from. I do have a seed dispenser in one canary cage but they have had every manner of bowls and I give fresh foods on a small paper plate on the cage floor.

One canary, if it's a male, will sing more than he would with a companion. If you get 2, don't get 2 males or they will fight. And if you get a M/F pair then you have to deal with eggs and breeding issues. You could always just pull the eggs out; they aren't viable till after she sits on them anyway. Whether to get a 2nd bird is really a personal choice. Some canaries are very social + need that companionship and others not so much.