• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

canary and society finch questions

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I want to get a couple finches. I would like canaries but they are less available where I live and expensive. I am planning to get a pair of society finches today. I will not know their sex. I also could get a traditional yellow female canary. In December I am getting a male dark variegated 1 to 2 year old male canary.

So my questions
If I got the the one female canary would she be unhappy living alone?

She is with a sister right now. I can’t afford both, but if I could will they always be able to be caged together? (There age is 6 months to 1 year)

Could the female canary live with the 2 society finches. Cage size is 30 x 18 x 18.

When I get the dark variegated male would it be a good or bad idea to let him breed with this chubby round yellow canary?

The male canary was hatched sometime in 2017 and the breeder has had him in singing contest. Is it a good or bad idea to purchase a bird of that age and background?

Thank you.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
The male cockbird is now at his best.

Canaries can live alone.

Its a gamble if the cockbird and hen get along..they are like us..different personalities. The cockbird would be very ready for breeding next year but the hen may not... oh and a plump round canary is ok to breed lol

Serin

Don't cage societies and a canary together. I did for a while and it worked but after a while, the canaries started becoming very aggressive to the finches. About the same time a neighbor also housing a canary with four finches, killed one of the finches. They are OKi n aviaries together, but in a confined cage the canaries really dont like their space intruded upon and eventually it seems they can have enough.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Don't cage societies and a canary together. I did for a while and it worked but after a while, the canaries started becoming very aggressive to the finches. About the same time a neighbor also housing a canary with four finches, killed one of the finches. They are OKi n aviaries together, but in a confined cage the canaries really dont like their space intruded upon and eventually it seems they can have enough.
Years ago I had the same issue..the cockbird canary tolerated my zebras to start with and then picked on them.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Thank you everyone for your responses. my first preference would be to just get the one female canary, if she would be okay alone? I have the two budgies and Pampa the blue crown conure so there are other birds around but she would be housed alone. These two female are so cute and friendly.

Also I know they had, what’s it called? Sac mite? Mite sac? They have been treated and don’t have it now, but I am wondering if I should treat them periodically as a precaution?

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
LOL. I mentioned the plump round canary to breed because the male will be a different breed canary and I wondered if it was frowned upon to mix and match like that. Besides I am not sure I want dark verigated babies. They would get the good singer genes though and they won’t be related.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

Canaries are prone to mites..like fleas on dogs. There are various products out there for canaries. Im in the UK and use S76 and powder once a month. The S76 is measured and put in the drinking/bath water. @Serin or @finchly can advise on US mite treatments.

Green canaries are just as popular as clears. If you paired a green with a yellow clear then the offspring would be very pretty and a random mix of both.

A true breeder who documents all his birds would frown on a mixed breed of canary. A mixed breed cannot be entered into the shows as a true fife etc. The young could be sold to petshops or the general pet owner. I have a mix. 2 are cross and 2 are borders. They can breed together. I do not have my birds to show them..I have them as my pets. I started with 6 and now I have 22 and each one is individual.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I have two friends with canaries and they have the occasional clutch but neither have been willing to sell me a baby, they always keep them. Maybe next summer, my one friend said I can have one, the two she put together this summer did not breed.
Claire thank you so very much for all the information. This is my first time to get a finch type bird. I have decided not to get the society finches because the female Canary is what I really want. I am going to get her this afternoon.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Your very welcome. Canaries are dear little birds and very adorable. You are in for a treat. An exciting afternoon ahead for you. We are here if you need to know anything and this is a great forum. We can never know enough. Ive also learnt alot on here.

Let us know how you get on and we love to see pictures too.