• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries nesting infestation

DariaB

Moving in
Hi All,

We have couple of canaries with three little chicks. All was going well until yesterday when tiny little bugs appeared crawling on the nest and our birds. Before the nesting we had that problem and treated the birds with SCATT and it seemed to work. Now they are back and we are not sure what to do. We will treat the adult birds again but how do we treat the chicks and what do we do with the nest? Do we take chicks out if the nest to clean it and replace the nesting material or not? I purchased AIL that I found recommended on this forum and I am awaiting delivery. Please advise what should we do.

Thanks,
Daria

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi All,

We have couple of canaries with three little chicks. All was going well until yesterday when tiny little bugs appeared crawling on the nest and our birds. Before the nesting we had that problem and treated the birds with SCATT and it seemed to work. Now they are back and we are not sure what to do. We will treat the adult birds again but how do we treat the chicks and what do we do with the nest? Do we take chicks out if the nest to clean it and replace the nesting material or not? I purchased AIL that I found recommended on this forum and I am awaiting delivery. Please advise what should we do.

Thanks,
Daria
You didnt mention where you are geographically?
Pau d'Acro and thyme will keep them away from the nest if under the nesting material- but taking the nesting material out at this time could cause the hen to abandon her nestlings. Improper husbandry is usually the cause. Dont let them breed again till you completely fix the problem.

DariaB

Moving in
We are in UK near Canterbury. As to what they are I think they are mites. I don't think that they are red mites as they look black. As to the Pau d'Acro and thyme would you put then around the edges of the nest?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
You would need it UNDER the nest material. Litterally- a mix that goes at the bottom of the nest (the bark, etc not the liquid).

But it sounds like your infestation is intense. Not worth losing the babies now.

DariaB

Moving in
So what would you suggest we do at this point. We shall do it next time (the mix of thyme and Pau d'Acro)... Our lovely birds don't seem very happy. Just to add we are very new to owing canaries and although I've read a lot before getting them I didn't find much info on what to do in the situation we are in. Thanks for all your advice.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I would look at my site- fetching finches. I havent found a more comprehensive site (otherwise I would not have written it). Go to the separate sections- but Canaries are similar to finches. Research and evaluate.

The enclosures could also be a problem- im not sure how they are being kept. A photo would help.,

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can sprinkle diatomaceous earth in and around the nest - be sure to do the room or tray beneath the cage. This will not hurt them but it will kill the bugs. Keep doing it for a few weeks.

The bugs can cause the death of the babies as well as adults. This is not something to wait on.

Another option, which I don’t like as well because of the babies is to spray Avian Insect Liquidator on the nest, entire aviary, and parents. I personally don’t spray the babies but I know people who do. Instead I put a drop on my thumb and smear it behind their head.

Did you do both SCATT treatments? If so they were in the area so that needs to be addressed.

I have never found that they abandoned babies when you handle them— you’re always there handling things. I actually change out the nesting material once or twice through the process. Are the babies at least one week old?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
This happened to me once a few years ago. I threw away the nest basket, replaced it with a sterile metal food cup lined with cotton. Washed the canary chicks gently under warm running water. Patted dry. Sprayed them, in the new nest, with AIL. Treated all adult birds and sprayed the room down. There were no more mites after that, and everything worked out well. Mother canary went back to her babies in the new cup without any hesitation.

DariaB

Moving in
Thank you or all the advice. I've changed the bedding in the nest. Sprayed the whole cage with AIL. Sprinkled the nest and the birds with Blast off anti mite. Treated the adult birds with SCATT. It seems like it is having an effect, still few visible ones but nothing like it was earlier and less and less. As to canaries male one - Acer is doing well, feeding the chicks, eating and chirping, the female - Rocket is not doing that well, she has spend most on the day puffed up and burrying head under the wing. We put the temperature up and keeping an eye on her. She just started eating now. She also gone back to the nest on one occasion and fed the chicks. Fingers crossed they will pull through. And we will get rid of these bugs once and for all. How often can I repeat the treatment with AIL and powder? The chicks seem to be doing well as well - they are 13 and 14 days old today.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
@DariaB

Make sure mommy bird is getting enough calcium after laying as a lack of can make her sick. Good luck with the babies and fingers crossed you can nip the bug problem in the butt fast!

DariaB

Moving in
I give her kale every day as well as constant access to cuttlefish bone. Anything else you would advise? I think she is doing better. She is sitting on the nest now and Acer is constantly in and out feeding the chicks. I will give him a little more time and then put them to bed...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Kale leaches calcium from their body if fed too much, try to rotate veggies. I am not familiar with your Blast Off. The AIL should be repeated in exactly 2 weeks because of the life cycle of the mites. Make sure you clean everything they have access to, keep it really clean so there aren’t any more mites around.

I’m glad your babies are doing well! We love to see photos!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Beautiful! I’m glad it is going well.