• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

canaries and cleaning? HELP NEEDED FAST

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
so I have cleaners that come to my house and dont know if clening items will kill my dear canary please help FAST because the cleaners are coming tomorow!!!

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Can you have someone else keep the canary for the day and open all the windows?
I would ask what they are using.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
It depends on what they are using. We switched to using all natural and environmentally- and pet-friendly cleaners here. Nonetheless you should still try to move your birds into a separate room when they are cleaning because sprays and whatnot in the air could bother and affect them.

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
is it ok if they do the hall, its next to my room were I will keep them...

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
I will open a window in my room... wait I cant its flipin 25 degrees tomorrow IM FREAKING OUT NOW!!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So cancel the cleaning and do it yourself! What am I missing?

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Birdy bunch Ask the cleaners to just use soap and hot water, or vinegar and water mixture for the time being if they don't have natural cleaners. That stuff cleans just as well, and it's beneficial not just for your birds, but for you and your family too.

If your parents don't go for it, you could always take them in their cage and wait in the car with them for a couple hours. In the meantime, I'd leave your bedroom window open in case any fumes get in your room.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Open the window but keep the cage away from it. Keep the bedroom door closed with a towel under it.
Also try a fan in the bedroom blowing towards the door. Do what you can.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have been interviewing cleaning services and all have said if requested they will use bird safe products, let me inspect them, and if I have concerns I can provide my own. Maybe down the hall to your room you can just have them use soap and water? Some have even said they use environmentally friendly supplies. Hopefully you can talk with them or have your parents talk with them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Canaries are quite sensitive to sects so be careful.

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
@Birdy bunch Ask the cleaners to just use soap and hot water, or vinegar and water mixture for the time being if they don't have natural cleaners. That stuff cleans just as well, and it's beneficial not just for your birds, but for you and your family too.

If your parents don't go for it, you could always take them in their cage and wait in the car with them for a couple hours. In the meantime, I'd leave your bedroom window open in case any fumes get in your room.
I cant open the bedroom window.... I live in Massachusetts and its like 20 degrees out... soooooooooo ya

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Surely the cleaner isn't just coming to do the hallway? Can't you just offer to clean the hallway yourself, and save yourself the stress?