• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries- 2 females + male??

lilac_dust

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
I bought a "breeding pair" of canaries last month, they are both girls it seems as ive ended up with 8 infertile eggs and they both nest. No singing from the one i was told was male.

Ive grown quite attached to both though so I don't want to swap one of them for a male.

Could 2 females and a male live harmoniously together in the same cage?

The size of the cage is 60Lx45Dx80H

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That might work. The cage should be ok. I’d be most worried if both females nested, wondering if the male would run himself ragged trying to feed two females. But you’d be providing egg food, so probably not.

lilac_dust

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
That might work. The cage should be ok. I’d be most worried if both females nested, wondering if the male would run himself ragged trying to feed two females. But you’d be providing egg food, so probably not.
Do the males feed the females while they're nested? I've had both females leaving the nest to eat. They've been on egg biscuit mix the past month

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Well, since they live in a cage they may well leave the nest to eat sometimes. Their food is right nearby. But yes, the dad should at least help feed the mother birds.
female canaries are not so aggressive so you might be able to keep a male and two females. But if you did that I’d definitely have plenty of egg food available when they’re on the nest.

lilac_dust

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
Well, since they live in a cage they may well leave the nest to eat sometimes. Their food is right nearby. But yes, the dad should at least help feed the mother birds.
female canaries are not so aggressive so you might be able to keep a male and two females. But if you did that I’d definitely have plenty of egg food available when they’re on the nest.
They definitely have a good supply of egg food in their cage so here's hoping all goes well.

Another thing I'm unable to get a lot of information on is, must the male be the same breed as the female? So as I have the border females, could I breed with a norwich or gloster male?

I'm trying to really make sure I'm not doing anything to put the birds in danger or make them uncomfortable or end up with poorly bred birds

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'm planing on breeding my canaries as well but I have two males, I'm planing on getting some more canaries hoping that at least one will be female. I also keep finches in the same aviary. My birds get half a boiled egg each day.