• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries: 1 male w/2 females?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hey All,

I currently have one CAG and am considering possibly getting canaries. I've read up a lot about them and briefly cared for a single male canary several years ago. I even tamed him to some degree.

I know that males will sing more consistently if they're alone, but I'm pretty certain that were I to get a male canary, I would also get at least one female to keep him company.

My question is: I've read that male canaries can be persistent in their courtship. Would it be easier on the female if I got two female canaries? Or, would two female canaries fight over the lone male? Or, would the male/female bonded pair harm the other female?

Thanks for taking a look.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

Males canaries will sing alone or not...I have several together and they all go for it.

Cage size is important..a large flight is good..an aviary is best. Cock bird to hen ratio is 1 cock to 3 hens. A pairing can work but any hen should only have 2 clutches per year. Canaries need their seasons for breeding then moulting. It is wise to have a spare cage so the cockbird can be removed.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Me again lol

There are no guarantees that a purchased cockbird and hen hit it off..they are individual like us....these little dears can be quite complex bless em.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hi

Males canaries will sing alone or not...I have several together and they all go for it.

Cage size is important..a large flight is good..an aviary is best. Cock bird to hen ratio is 1 cock to 3 hens. A pairing can work but any hen should only have 2 clutches per year. Canaries need their seasons for breeding then moulting. It is wise to have a spare cage so the cockbird can be removed.
Thank you for the prompt reply and great information! I should say I don't plan to breed at all. I just didn't want a single bird that would feel lonely. Given that, would you still recommend three hens? Many of the canary breeders in my neck of the woods do seem to offer pairs for sale, so presumably compatibility wouldn't be an immediate issue if they've paired them well. Although of course I would immediately separate birds if problems arose.

Thanks.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Arr you are very welcome.

I have 4 hens together ..2 couple of years old who had to retire and 2 at 1 year old..they get on.

If you don't plan to breed but want the song a male alone is fine. I have males alone as they just don't get on with other cockbirds. A hen can really sing too and are lovely.

Im the UK ..i have both for rehoming ;)

GeorgeG

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,

may I ask smth on this....
I have also a male canary with 2 hens, with both having 4 eggs but only the one though now having little canaries (5th day). The hen who now have babies will call her 1st. The weird is that the last 2 days, whenever the 1st hen goes for food the 2nd hen is changing nest (going to the babies) resulting to a fight between the hens when the 1st is returning to her nest. The male canary also is a bit weird, instead of feeding the 1st hen is feeding the 2nd hen while on the nest. Do you feel is wise to separate them. if yes, the male canary should stay with the 1st or move with the 2nd?

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Remove the hen without the nest and chicks. Give the cockbird a chance with the hen with chicks. It is a very busy time for a hen with chicks and they are more on edge. They need calm. Hopefully the cockbird will help the hen with chicks and she will accept his help. If not after acouple of days remove him too.