• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canadian red bellied parrots!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Red-bellied parrots are supposedly winter/early spring breeders.
I'd have to throw fall into the mix based on my experience. Lucy laid eggs in Sept, Oct, Jan, March and late April/early May.
Not the easiest birds to breed. I believe I had mine about 7 years before Lucy laid her first clutch of eggs.

They are actually more common in the pet trade than they were many years ago but not as common compared to Senegals or Meyers.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Red-bellied parrots are supposedly winter/early spring breeders.
I'd have to throw fall into the mix based on my experience. Lucy laid eggs in Sept, Oct, Jan, March and late April/early May.
Not the easiest birds to breed. I believe I had mine about 7 years before Lucy laid her first clutch of eggs.

They are actually more common in the pet trade than they were many years ago but not as common compared to Senegals or Meyers.
I’m glad you chimed in here. Keoki hatched in July or late August I think. Still can’t get a hatch date :mad2: but maybe because it’s tropical they bred off season?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad you chimed in here. Keoki hatched in July or late August I think. Still can’t get a hatch date :mad2: but maybe because it’s tropical they bred off season?
I actually think they can breed whenever they feel like it. :) Lucy just never laid eggs during the summer months. I think she was taking a summer break. :D
Go to this link Red-bellied Parrot (Poicephalus rufiventris) | HBW Alive and scroll down. You will see some info about observed breeding in Africa. Unfortunately can't read all of the info unless one is a subscriber and I am not.
I think it is interesting that there are possibly two subspecies: Poicephalus rufiventris rufiventris and P. rufiventris pallidus. Supposedly pallidus is lighter in color and has a brownish head. Not sure where the dark eye rings vs light eye rings fit.

Sorry that you can not get a specific hatch date. What is the breeder's reason for not giving that to you? Maybe he isn't even sure exactly what date Keoki hatched out.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Great information, thanks! Looks like it depends on where they live when it comes to breeding. May be in Hawaii it’s a tropical thing for them to breed in the summer. But his breeder did say that he rarely has chicks. So the reason why I don’t have a hatch date is because he said when he gets to his farm that he just forgets to look at the box, that it’s on the box, whatever that means. Then I told him I was taking him to the vet for a well check and I would really like the date, I feel like I have a right to know he is my bird now. And I feel it’s the responsible thing to do is give me the date. So now it’s just a waiting game. Not very happy with the guy, I probably wouldn’t recommend him or buy from him again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe he writes the hatch dates on the nest boxes? Isn't there someone at the farm checking on the boxes daily? Maybe they need a better record keeping system.
Sorry that you aren't 100% pleased with the breeder. The positive thing is that you wanted a red-bellied parrot baby and you were able to get one, and a very cute one, btw.
Sometimes the month and year of hatching are imprinted on the bird band but the day/date is not included.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Yes, something like that. If it were important to him he would make sure he told me. He goes to his farm several times a day. If you forget, take a picture of the date on the box, it’s not that hard. Yes, I’m being very sarcastic. He just errks me. He just can’t be bothered. I do believe Keoki was born sometime in August, because when I got him his breeder said he was 3 months old. So he is possibly 4 months old now. I am very happy with this guy... maybe after we do the vet thing I will feel better. He goes on Saturday at 10:30. The avian is there Tuesday-Saturday. I tried to get in last week but they had no appointments that could accommodate my work schedule and I couldn’t go last Saturday.