• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you train macaws to not scream?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Well then here's another question. Would this cage be a good size for a scarlet or should I get something bigger? If it is a good size then are the bars a good size or too small?
Best Choice Products 68in Durable Bird Cage w/ Long Wooden Perch, Play Area, Feeding Bowls, Doors, and Rolling Wheels - Black - Walmart.com

I’d say much bigger, for a large macaw, get a cage that they can open their wings in fully. My personal opinion, that’s way too small for a Scarlet.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
What cages would you recommend then?

I have this cage: Amazon.com : A&E CAGE CO Extra Large Corner Cage, Black : Birdcages : Pet Supplies (Which works for us at the moment)
This is another highly recommended one: https://www.amazon.com/Flyline-Doub...le+macaw+cage&qid=1553051040&s=gateway&sr=8-1 (remove the divider and use the whole cage for one bird)
Or, instead of a cage you could get an in-house aviary: Amazon.com : Sliverylake Large Heavy Duty Bird Cage Big Walk in Cages Aviary Parrot Macaw Conure Lovebird Pet House Finch Parakeet Cockatiel Macare Birdcages Black : Pet Supplies (I think this is great, I wish I'd thought of this before I got my cage)

Another option is to dedicate a room to the bird; make it bird safe.
These are some ideas, I'm sure other macaw people can chime in as well.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well then here's another question. Would this cage be a good size for a scarlet or should I get something bigger? If it is a good size then are the bars a good size or too small?
Best Choice Products 68in Durable Bird Cage w/ Long Wooden Perch, Play Area, Feeding Bowls, Doors, and Rolling Wheels - Black - Walmart.com
Waaaay too small. A scarlet has a wingspan of around three feet! The absolute bare minimum I'd ever suggest is 42" wide. Minimum. Twice that would be ideal.

The cages @BeanieofJustice suggested are all great cages! Walk-in aviaries are fabulous, and allow for tons of room for enrichment materials like toys and foraging areas. They're also easy to clean, just pull out the papers, get in and sweep. ;)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have this cage: Amazon.com : A&E CAGE CO Extra Large Corner Cage, Black : Birdcages : Pet Supplies (Which works for us at the moment)
This is another highly recommended one: Amazon.com : Flyline Double Cage with Center Divider for Bird Parrot Aviary W64xd32xh73 : Pet Supplies (remove the divider and use the whole cage for one bird)
Or, instead of a cage you could get an in-house aviary: Amazon.com : Sliverylake Large Heavy Duty Bird Cage Big Walk in Cages Aviary Parrot Macaw Conure Lovebird Pet House Finch Parakeet Cockatiel Macare Birdcages Black : Pet Supplies (I think this is great, I wish I'd thought of this before I got my cage)

I love those walk ins!!! Want one as big as they come to put outside so My birds can have a blast!!! They are easy to clean too....I have two large ones right now, but man they can be a chore to clean and squat into to reach in back..love the walk in.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Holy moly that in-house aviary is taller than me and I'm 6ft 1 and it's still a pretty decent price. I guess now all I need to see is if the macaw I'm looking at is aggressive or friendly. (after some time saving for the cage that is)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Holy moly that in-house aviary is taller than me and I'm 6ft 1 and it's still a pretty decent price. I guess now all I need to see is if the macaw I'm looking at is aggressive or friendly. (after some time saving for the cage that is)
I agree it is a decent price!! Dang I want one! I have very large cages, but boy is it a pain to reach to back to clean. Would love the walk in.!!!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

I have this cage for my young B&G, I got it thinking of either sleep cage or for using at family members houses while visiting.....Burr hates it and will only go in it to retrieve macadamia bits then straight out of it quicker than he went in it. He loves playing on top of it but there seems to be extra holes drilled into the top piece for some reason so I’ve had to thread paper rope through them so he doesn’t catch his toes,,,,I learnt that the hard way :(

I would go much bigger personally.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This is another highly recommended one: https://www.amazon.com/Flyline-Doub...le+macaw+cage&qid=1553051040&s=gateway&sr=8-1 (remove the divider and use the whole cage for one bird)

I have the first two cages (cheaper knock off brands I believe) you posted links for and Burt loves the both. He only tried the double macaw cage today but it seems to be a winner.

I will one day (soon hopefully) upgrade to a walk in aviary for inside. I think cleaning it would be easier but most importantly I think Burt would love the extra room when he is confined.

Misters mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
I have learned the breakfast thing, and so has Mister. He'll actually start quiet after sunrise but only for a couple hours and if he hasn't gotten breakfast by then he'll start calling "mom" for a few minutes and then just start screaming (not his loudest possible screen but one just meant to get my attention and remind me I forgot something) until his breakfast arrives.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have learned the breakfast thing, and so has Mister. He'll actually start quiet after sunrise but only for a couple hours and if he hasn't gotten breakfast by then he'll start calling "mom" for a few minutes and then just start screaming (not his loudest possible screen but one just meant to get my attention and remind me I forgot something) until his breakfast arrives.
Lol....Major, my former military ( rip... bud) could get cranky when you are late on breakfast. I swear he knew how to tell time!!! You don't want to piss off a macaw by forgetting breakfast....you'll pay for it with its screams!!! Major was born 1942 , I oftened wondered what cages and types of food and vet care was available then...Born just before WWll .....he changed with the changes. And did good .

Last edited:

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry

We had this one set up in our home for the finch and loved it. We have since rehomed all the finch and it is now an indoor playground for our B&G. She has 2 other smaller play grounds in our home for whatever room we are in and her night time cage I think it is 2 1/2 ft x 4ft x 5 ft tall. I believe her night time cage was the one she spent her first 28 yrs in. She has since learned to play and be a bird and needed more and more area.

And yes, regardless of the size birds, whether finch or macaws, or pterodactyls, walk ins are easier to clean.

But I have no doubt you will figure our exactly what you two need. And if your GW is active, you may need more than one area.
sherri

Last edited:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
But yes, of course, you cannot train a parrot not to scream anymore than you can train a human not to panic in an emergency (911 operators expect this).....it is an instinctive response (in certain situations) that makes use of a natural vocalization. It can also come about because a need is not being met.

Parrot trainers (calling themselves behaviorists) tend to confuse matters because they are not in fact behaviorists but, as I stated, "trainers" (behavior is a legitimate field of study that makes use of the anatomy and neurochemistry of behavior as it takes place in the brain). Training new behaviors (tricks) is one thing but trying to override natural behaviors is another. Unfortunately there is confusion, and the line between the two is often blurred. This is partly due to use of misleading terms such as "behavior modification" by the industry, most often by those who are marketing their "methods." They don't make money if they don't make it seem like they can solve your problems

Any situation that has a bird panicked or afraid, such as being separated from an individual to which it is socially bonded, can elicit the automatic response of an alarm call. As will stimuli that might cause fear. The former involves a "social-attachment" (a part of all social animals) need that is not being met. This is an instinctive need that subsides only when the comfort of a social partner is found. Many people have been misled into believing that they can ignore (extinction burst) this behavior away but what really happens is that the birds anxiety increases and its stress hormone levels rise. I know of at least one study that correlates levels of stress hormone with feather plucking, and many studies show that frustration leads to stereotypical behaviors or stereotypies. These are repetitive non goal oriented motions.

Okay so that was my two cents, in the end - good luck!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
But yes, of course, you cannot train a parrot not to scream anymore than you can train a human not to panic in an emergency (911 operators expect this).....it is an instinctive response (in certain situations) that makes use of a natural vocalization. It can also come about because a need is not being met.

Parrot trainers (calling themselves behaviorists) tend to confuse matters because they are not in fact behaviorists but, as I stated, "trainers" (behavior is a legitimate field of study that makes use of the anatomy and neurochemistry of behavior as it takes place in the brain). Training new behaviors (tricks) is one thing but trying to override natural behaviors is another. Unfortunately there is confusion, and the line between the two is often blurred. This is partly due to use of misleading terms such as "behavior modification" by the industry, most often by those who are marketing their "methods." They don't make money if they don't make it seem like they can solve your problems

Any situation that has a bird panicked or afraid, such as being separated from an individual to which it is socially bonded, can elicit the automatic response of an alarm call. As will stimuli that might cause fear. The former involves a "social-attachment" (a part of all social animals) need that is not being met. This is an instinctive need that subsides only when the comfort of a social partner is found. Many people have been misled into believing that they can ignore (extinction burst) this behavior away but what really happens is that the birds anxiety increases and its stress hormone levels rise. I know of at least one study that correlates levels of stress hormone with feather plucking, and many studies show that frustration leads to stereotypical behaviors or stereotypies. These are repetitive non goal oriented motions.

Well said!

I will add that since our parrots are diurnal. They will express behaviours all day. Birds are not like our dogs or cats who sleep for a good part of the day.
Birds will be contact calling and looking for their flock.

Last edited:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I have a new macaw that’s 14 years old and she has been vocalizing much more than my other ones. Recently I discovered she loves toys that have wing nuts and bolts that she can take apart. And this has quieted her down quite a bit. They do the morning and night calls and some alert when the neighbor is walking his dog. As far as training goes probably not but figuring out what they like goes a long way.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

:cool: My reply?.......What he said...!