• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you train macaws to not scream?

Duel

Walking the driveway
I've been thinking of adopting a rescue macaw that's practically pants-less (he can no longer grow feathers on his leg) but I remember my cousin who used to have a scarlet macaw that was very loud and would randomly scream. Is it possible to train them to not do so? (The one in this case is 20 years old)

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish! :lol: Nah.

Oftentimes, excessive screaming is due to boredom, stress, fear, lack of attention, and other factors that can be remedied by proper husbandry. However, all birds are going to vocalise, and a macaw's joyous cries aren't anything to sniff at. Some birds are also much more vocal than others, for no other reason than their personality.

My macaw Taco will scream at least four times a day -- and that's just his full-blown, glass-shattering screams. Even his happy, playful chattering can be super loud, and because he's not doing anything wrong by vocalising in these situations, there's no reason to try to train it out of him (and doing so would almost certainly do more harm than good).

Macaws are huge birds, and they come with huge voices. If that level of noise isn't within your comfort zone, then a macaw is not a good choice for you.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Afraid not. God built that into all large birds. You can't remove it, sorry.
Even my little Sun can almost break a wine glass...
Neither bird is recommended for apartment living.

Duel

Walking the driveway
I wish! :lol: Nah.

Oftentimes, excessive screaming is due to boredom, stress, fear, lack of attention, and other factors that can be remedied by proper husbandry. However, all birds are going to vocalise, and a macaw's joyous cries aren't anything to sniff at. Some birds are also much more vocal than others, for no other reason than their personality.

My macaw Taco will scream at least four times a day -- and that's just his full-blown, glass-shattering screams. Even his happy, playful chattering can be super loud, and because he's not doing anything wrong by vocalising in these situations, there's no reason to try to train it out of him (and doing so would almost certainly do more harm than good).

Macaws are huge birds, and they come with huge voices. If that level of noise isn't within your comfort zone, then a macaw is not a good choice for you.
Ok but another question, does their screaming continue even during night? I can handle the screams during the day it's just that I don't want him ruining my sleep that's all.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ok but another question, does their screaming continue even during night? I can handle the screams during the day it's just that I don't want him ruining my sleep that's all.
Bird typically sleep at night silently. Birds can get night frights, but those are special situations and rare. If your bird has a good place to sleep they will sleep well.You would never know they are there.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He'd be asleep during the night, assuming there are no noises/lights keeping him awake; but if you're not used to rising with the sun, you'll probably be woken up by the 'dawn chorus': aka, a lot of yelling to welcome the morning. If you don't wake up early each day, he's going to wake you up. And keep you awake!

You can try to curb this by using black-out curtains to drown out the sun and the sounds of life waking outside, but sometimes their internal clock wins out anyway. That method sure didn't work for my flock, so now I'm up at the crack of dawn every day just to spare myself the deafening morning calls of four raucous birds. Routine is vital.

Reactions: tka

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I've been thinking of adopting a rescue macaw that's practically pants-less (he can no longer grow feathers on his leg) but I remember my cousin who used to have a scarlet macaw that was very loud and would randomly scream. Is it possible to train them to not do so? (The one in this case is 20 years old)
Ice cream did you say? Hold on birds are screaming couldn't hear ya.....lol.
Seriously? No..... You won't break them of that.....EVER! They are birds that what they do. I used to have a military at its age of 68 yrs old and his third parronts, age caught up to him and he passed. But man I could go deaf around him!
and that was playful screams! My Zon could crack glass with her screams!
truth be told, no you will never stop any birds scream!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
No, usually they sleep and are quiet, least all mine are, and military I had never peeped at night. But come Sun up, you best be up, or they darn sure will wake you. And God forbid, never forget a macaws breakfast....you have no idea what a pissed off macaw can be like!!!!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
No, usually they sleep and are quiet, least all mine are, and military I had never peeped at night. But come Sun up, you best be up, or they darn sure will wake you. And God forbid, never forget a macaws breakfast....you have no idea what a pissed off macaw can be like!!!!
........oh man you got that right-breakfast time and when the sun goes down, that's when my 2 macaws are the loudest. Yes they will let it rip during the day on occasion but I just quietly tell them STOP in a stern voice, usually works. Now my military will do her darnest to be louder then a conversation going on in the room-then I ask her WHAT!! she will mutter something and go back to playing. I do believe the screams can be controlled, I do try to ignore it because then you are just teaching them "if I scream I will get her attention" but when it gets out of hand I will give a command in a louder voice to break their thought process & when they stop screaming they are rewarded with a treat. I think my biggest secret to taming the screams are treats through the day when they are being good. Just random treat with a "What a good girl" does the trick. Just like kids they each will have their own personality and even that changes all the time.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
........oh man you got that right-breakfast time and when the sun goes down, that's when my 2 macaws are the loudest. Yes they will let it rip during the day on occasion but I just quietly tell them STOP in a stern voice, usually works. Now my military will do her darnest to be louder then a conversation going on in the room-then I ask her WHAT!! she will mutter something and go back to playing. I do believe the screams can be controlled, I do try to ignore it because then you are just teaching them "if I scream I will get her attention" but when it gets out of hand I will give a command in a louder voice to break their thought process & when they stop screaming they are rewarded with a treat. I think my biggest secret to taming the screams are treats through the day when they are being good. Just random treat with a "What a good girl" does the trick. Just like kids they each will have their own personality and even that changes all the time.
Ohhhh absolutely!! Mine would scream the minute you get on the phone! More you talk, the louder they scream....it was hard to talk on phone unless you literally left the house and went outside. As for treats....uhhhh, sometimes, I try not to associate getting a treat with screaming. Rather I point to something outside the window and say oh look!! Did you see that? They shut up and concentrate on what I saw...when they realize, 15 minutes later that I was just pulling their tail feathers, it's back to screaming for a bit.lol!!!
Oh yea screaming louder than them in form voice works....sometimes.....My Zon learned to scream louder than me!!!!lol!!!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It’s definitely an individual bird thing too. My macaw sleeps in my room and he doesn’t get up until I get up. We don’t always keep to a routine because of my families weird work schedule or lack of one, but it works for us. He has not once woken me up before I get up, even if sleeping in. He just waits for his “good morning bowser” and then he happily gets up, ready for breakfast. He also never screams. Unless he sees a bug then it’s piercing warning call pain lol. But other than that he just happily talks.

Last edited:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
One day the hormones were really flying in my house they were seriously loud most of the day, by 5 I couldn't take it anymore so I walked in the room & screamed back, yes felt very stupid & was glad I was alone lol But it worked, all 9 birds were in shock and they were quite for the rest of the evening. Now my blue n gold will get to screaming for a minute then she stops, mimics my scream & says " That's Enough " then the Military tells her " Stop It " then the African Grey will sing " I ammmm home" yes my house can be very comical at times. Seriously though you are just gonna have days where maybe they didn't get enough sleep & they are cranky or god for bid they weren't serve the right food-yes that happens and I now know which scream that is. Mine don't scream just to scream anymore but man when I first got them it was so bad I would leave the house for awhile.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Macaws loud? Train them not to be? Haha

My neighbor in Nevada had 2 pairs. She once had the police called....someone heard someone being murdered!
You can guess the stories the police told forever after.

Nights are good most of the time. Most birds sleep.
My GW in not a noisy bird, but when he sets off, you can hear him 4 houses down the road. ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My GWs are/were exceptionally quiet, especially the female. I have to go check on her every now and then because she is so quiet. She only hollars when she wants something and doesn't get it immediately.

The male made sure he got the sun up in the morning and put it to bed at night - and everyone within a mile knew it. He would squawk now and then during the day, but not as loud. He was mouthy and always had something to say - just talking human and bird.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
It's certainly possible to reduce screaming. Barbara Heidenreich (Force Free Animal Trainer) trained her birds (Amazons and Macaw) to sing and speak English rather than the usual morning flock call.

Kobe (Pionus) used to scream when I left the room so I taught him to whisper or shout OH BOY or HELLO! Ollie (Amazon) has a shouting episode every morning but I don't do anything about him as it's lovely to hear his voice after him being silent for so long. It depends what is reinforcing for the bird. I can't compete with Bobbie (Amazon) and Ollie shouting at the outdoor birds in the morning. It is way more reinforcing for them than anything I can offer. But when there is a gap then I will cue Bobbie to say something she already knows like Mwahahahahaha! Or I will whistle and she will copy me. I whistle back which is obviously reinforcing as she will copy it again. With Chico (Amazon) I reinforce anything English he shouts or sings by repeating it back to him. He will sometimes scream but much less so than when he first came to me as he now finds my voice reinforcing.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Sam might say “What” or “Ma” in the morning or a quiet squawk but he’s a VERY quiet macaw. The only time I’ve heard him really scream is when he’s seen someone with a stick (we’ve gotten past that). He’s sometimes persistent but he’s never been particularly loud. I never “trained” him, it’s just who he is. I’ve been waiting for him to change but, it hasn’t happened yet.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Many know my story about our neighbor hating our Scarlet's vocalizations to the point where she has 'forbid' us to use our outside aviary, except for 15 minutes max due to her extreme noise sensitivity malady. If you do decide to move forward with getting a macaw, please keep in mind that you could have neighbors like mine who will make your life miserable. It's best to have a chat with your neighbors before you bring your macaw home just to be on the safe side.

Birdbrain7878

Checking out the neighborhood
From an outside observer who have watched many of these "pets". Large birds are obviously intelligent as you guys know. But I really think there is a breakdown in our own intelligence here. The "owners" of these birds perceive their existence through their own experience. They anthropomorphize their companion. And these intelligent beings do their best to be in their twisted, enclosed world.

But an intelligent being, a wild creature, non domesticated, shoved in a confined space goes insane. These guys are meant to be completely free. They are centient beings. They CHOOSE what they do, no different that we do.

When I see when a large bird in a cage, I CRY. Literally. You say, well, they know no different. My bird only knows the cage and house when I decide. You know, a human can be conditioned the same. Keep a baby in a small hut. Teach it to only to wash your dishes as they are passed through a hole and it will do that to death, thinking that is life. But humans are meant for that.

And even more so large birds aren't meant to be confined. You have restricted their number 1 construct of being! They cannot fly free and BE a goddamn bird! It is built so deeply in their genes...you haven't touched it at all with domestication.

That is why they "seem" insane. THEY ARE. You have an intelligent animal in complete stress at all times that you are torturing. Shooting them would be a relief. Letting them go to live for 1 single day would make you an angel. Please pay the meaningless money to get "your" animal to relief program. Yes, these dudes are smart enough to go back.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
You can teach a macaw not to scream like you can teach a child never to speak. It may work but they won't be happy.
From an outside observer who have watched many of these "pets". Large birds are obviously intelligent as you guys know. But I really think there is a breakdown in our own intelligence here. The "owners" of these birds perceive their existence through their own experience. They anthropomorphize their companion. And these intelligent beings do their best to be in their twisted, enclosed world.

But an intelligent being, a wild creature, non domesticated, shoved in a confined space goes insane. These guys are meant to be completely free. They are centient beings. They CHOOSE what they do, no different that we do.

When I see when a large bird in a cage, I CRY. Literally. You say, well, they know no different. My bird only knows the cage and house when I decide. You know, a human can be conditioned the same. Keep a baby in a small hut. Teach it to only to wash your dishes as they are passed through a hole and it will do that to death, thinking that is life. But humans are meant for that.

And even more so large birds aren't meant to be confined. You have restricted their number 1 construct of being! They cannot fly free and BE a goddamn bird! It is built so deeply in their genes...you haven't touched it at all with domestication.

That is why they "seem" insane. THEY ARE. You have an intelligent animal in complete stress at all times that you are torturing. Shooting them would be a relief. Letting them go to live for 1 single day would make you an angel. Please pay the meaningless money to get "your" animal to relief program. Yes, these dudes are smart enough to go back.
Oof. You on the right forum bird brain? I do believe joining a forum just to hate on people is considered troll ing. I take no issue to questioning the ethics, but this is quite literally your first comment.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Shooting them would be a relief.
just reread this comment and noticed this snippet. Just to clarify (I'm aware some of our members don't speak English as their first language, you may well be one of them) , you are advocating people kill their birds rather than have them live as pets, correct?