• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can two male lovebirds raise eggs together?

Could this work

• Maybe

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Yes, probably

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, definitely not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sunny_Cloudy:)

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Davis Lensch
Before you laugh at me and say I’m stupid and is this even a reall thread remember I’m newish to owning birds I’ve hatched them before but my two male lovebirds mate and have some nesting behavior is there a chance they could hatch and raise an egg?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They could hatch an egg from a female that was introduced to them perhaps, but a male is missing the necessary organs and biology to lay an egg.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They could hatch an egg from a female that was introduced to them perhaps, but a male is missing the necessary organs and biology to lay an egg.
Ditto:)
It is an interesting question, hypothetically I wonder what would happen if I were to give my lovebird biys(bonded) eggs, whether they would (try) to incubate them and all that.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Honestly, with all their courting and nesting behaviors, I'd wondered the same thing with my two male cockatiels. If given an egg from another pair, would they hatch it? I know with cockatiels, both parents take equal part in the care of the offspring. But I'm not sure about lovebirds... I think that would be the determining factor more than anything: how much of a role does the male play in a male/female pairing?

It'd be an interesting thing to know, I think. I've heard of male swan couples raising eggs, so maybe?

Last edited:

Sunny_Cloudy:)

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Davis Lensch
Thanks guys not at all what I was expecting I thought everyone would say no! Good to know I learned a lot I might try a fake egg first and then if they incubate it I will make it a real egg!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I wouldn’t actually try it though personally, if you would like a new bird I would just adopt one, if you are set on a baby buy from a responsible and ethical breeder:) I don’t think those would give eggs away, and so much could go wrong with the baby:)

Serin

Sprinting down the street
My two Java hens are currently sitting on six eggs together and being very diligent in alternating incubation duty. I'd like to find them some eggs to hatch, if they keep sitting long enough for my society finches to start a new clutch I will give them a couple to foster.

JuSkabirbma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I saw a video today about two male penguins adopting a chick that they thought was being neglected, and then being given their own egg to take care of. I know they are a completely different species but I wouldn't doubt if other birds would do the same. :D

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
wow, interesting

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Animals do some amazing and fascinating things we would never expect them to do. I really enjoyed reading this question and all the responses :)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I think it would be interesting to see if they would be willing to nest and incubate an egg. I think lovies do take turns with nesting duty but I am not 100%.

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I think it would be interesting to see if they would be willing to nest and incubate an egg. I think lovies do take turns with nesting duty but I am not 100%.
they do the male is less dominant but I have just had a clutch and dad is very active. He feeds the birds and plays with them and sits with them (mine are varying ages from 4-6 weeks old. they aren't weaned yet) he also sat in nesting box but did some guard duty as well outside nesting box.