• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can they get tangled in a mosquito net?

Max83

Walking the driveway
hi guys, I plan to put a mosquito net on my african grey cage to prevent my cockatiel get hurt if he lands on it (the AG is a rescue and pretty aggressive and intolerant with other animals).

Is the idea dangrous? my cockatiel can get tangled easy on it? how do you manage birds aggressive with others apart from separating out of cage time?

Thank you everyone :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your cockatiel could get its toenails caught in the net.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I use cotton duvet covers or bottom sheets

Max83

Walking the driveway
I use cotton duvet covers or bottom sheets
and you put them on cage only when your other birds are out? but the bird inside doesnt't remain in the dark?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have used a long, finely-woven white sheer curtain. I strung a wire above the cage and attached the curtain to it and only pull it when the bird that was learning "how to be out safely" was out. The wire can be straight as the cage is against the wall and the curtain bows out to follow the cage. After a couple months the new bird learned to ignore the other's cage and I don't need to use it.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
and you put them on cage only when your other birds are out? but the bird inside doesnt't remain in the dark?
They're light sheets and Its only when they are having out of cage time.

I only cover the top half of the cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You could also put plexiglass on top of the cage, and supervise your bird when he is out so he doesn’t fly over to the sides of the cage. You can also cut the plexiglass so it is bigger than the top of the cage and from that hang sheer curtains or some other safe mesh down the sides, away from the cage. Maybe you could figure out a way to take the material on and off easily.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Piper is territorial about her cage and will attack anyone that lands on it. I put a piece of clear polycarbonate over it to prevent toe biting - zero problems since. Covering the cage with cloth wasn't ideal, since it made her even more nesty and hormonal.