• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Teflon be neutralized?

Yeah_Birbs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tim
Hi
I’m fairly new on this website and I have a question (although it’s kinda stupid).
I know that Teflon is a fume found in nonstick pans that can severely damage a bird’s respiratory system. I want to find a way if there is a way to get rid of the fumes without getting rid of all of the Teflon pans in the kitchen, like an air filter. I’m thinking about getting a bird myself, and if there is no way to completely get rid of Teflon fumes, I may have to look for another pet. An answer would be greatly appreciated.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
There are no stupid questions!:) Unfortunatly, that is impossible as far as I know though.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Teflon is unfortunately a product that cannot be made safe, unless you never use it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Really, though, I would get rid of the teflon cookware no matter what pets you have. Teflon is harmful to humans as well.

There are no stupid questions. :) Welcome aboard!

Yeah_Birbs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tim
I’m not sure my mother is willing to part with her nonstick cookware though. And thank you for replying so quickly!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I know it's hard to replace cookware when what you have still works. When I was looking for replacements, I waited for a sale and got a nice set for a steal!

Yeah_Birbs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tim
Thanks! My mom is not a very big fan of birds, so if I tell her to replace her entire supply of cookware just so I could take care of a pet might sound absurd to her. What should I do to convince her?

tobias

Meeting neighbors
Teflon is a brand name of cookware coated with PTFE, which makes it non-stick. Unfortunately PTFE is toxic to birds, as well as PFOA which is also in a lot of non-stick cookware. Basically, if something with PTFE or PFOA coating gets heated above a certain temperature OR it is left on heat with nothing in it, like if it is left on the stove by accident with oil, while the oil is in there it will probably be ok but once all the oil burns off the coating basically begins to burn, releasing fumes in the air which can kill birds in a matter of minutes. This is why you may hear stories of people that keep teflon and birds for years with no problems, because technically if you use it 100% "correctly" it is safe (or at least not lethal). HOWEVER, of course everyone makes mistakes, and you certainly don't want one little mistake of leaving the stove on to kill your bird within minutes, which is why you should never have it in the same house as birds.

I don't think there's really away to neurtralize it, BUT there is alternative non-stick cookware out there that is PTFE and PFOA free and in my experience works just as well as far as sticking goes, its just a bit more susceptible to losing it's non-stickness when used at too high of a temperature or used with metal utensils or brillo or something. Also there is your classic cast iron, glass, or metal cookware which is safe for birds, but not necsssarily as "easy" as non-stick.

So my advise is to look into the PTFE & PFOA (it has to be both!) free non-stick cookware. It won't be that different from the teflon you're used to and it will be safe for birds!

Sorry if this is too much info haha but I hope it helps

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We all go through the process of getting safe cookware and other items that have Teflon. If you really love birds it is what you do. No shortcuts when it comes to safety.

Yeah_Birbs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tim
This is great advice. My mom is a very cautious person, so I think there will be little problems about overheating Teflon. One last question: is there a way to minimize Teflon exposure in birds?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
is there a way to minimize Teflon exposure in birds?

You simply go through things and remove the items that are known toxins. Teflon is not the only one. You have any aerosols like spray anything, plug in scents and cover mirrors and fish tanks. One persons baby bird died flying into the glass of a fish tank. Toilet lids down. There are so many household items that present dangers. It is our responsibility and commitment to keep a safe environment.

But this should not keep you from providing a loving, safe home for a bird.

Yeah_Birbs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tim
Are diffusers okay? My family uses eucalyptus oil for the diffuser

tobias

Meeting neighbors
No matter how cautious a person is, it is still absolutely not a good idea to have any teflon in the same house where birds live. The only way is to get rid of it and replace it with safe cookware.

Maybe show your mom this from the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
TEFLON - National Library of Medicine HSDB Database

It describes PTFE fume exposure even showing symptoms in humans. It's not only bad for birds, but they are unfortunately extra sensitive!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If you like, you could give her replacement pans and such as a gift. It's harder to say no to something when it's given to you.

Diffusers, candles, and room deodorizers are all things you cannot have in your home.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sounds like a bird is not for you till you grow up and leave the house.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The only way to make Teflon safe is to throw it out. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's true. There's no way around it if you want a bird. Teflon (which is a brand name of the product PTFE) can kill a bird in 5 minutes. Imagine losing your best friend to something so simple to prevent.

When I got my bird, I was lucky in that my dad understood the risks (canary in a coal mine) and tossed the teflon, we got one of these- Amazon.com: GOTHAM STEEL 9.5 inches Non-stick Titanium Frying Pan by Daniel Green: Kitchen & Dining and we've been using it for almost 3 years now with no issues. No candles, aerosols, sprays, perfumes either.

It's simply unavoidable. If you can't convince her to get rid of them, then unfortunately a bird will not be in the cards for you.

Reactions: tka