• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Stress Stop Moulting?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I ask because now Tau has recovered from his big night fright and started singing he seems to have restarted his moult. 9 coverts and 4 down feathers in 2 days. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Coincidence.

9 flights is an indication they were damaged in the fright. 4 down feathers is not a moult.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I guess I just found it strange that he would hold damaged feathers for 5 weeks before dropping them, especially as a lot of the feathers around his wounds were plucked and trimmed and he stopped moulting when he had his fright. The poor lad hasn't completed a single moult yet. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
  • 4 days, 32 feathers including feathers from all over his body (a few of them old grey facial). I can't see it being damage.
One thing I forgot to mention Tau lost his tail feathers in the fright and has now grown them back. Could this be mother nature putting all the energy into growing these 'essential' tail feathers and pausing the moult?
It doesn't worry me because I know it'll be something natural occurring. It would be nice to have something to refer to. I could Google this all day but Google ain't what it was intended to be.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If a tiel loses a feather on one side of their body, they seem to lose the same feather on the opposite side. I think it's so they fly more balanced. Even duriong a molt they don't lose nearly as many feathers as my budgrigars. I think its because a lot of their feathers are down, so they preen it into dust.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I just read your post about tau having injured himself during a seizure. I hope he will be okay, poor thing!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I hope he will be okay, poor thing!
Oh he's doing great. Other than a bald spot on the back of the head he's back to normal, whatever normal is.
He's definitely back into his moult, 10 - 15 feathers dropping each day most of them down or body feathers.
Could this be mother nature putting all the energy into growing these 'essential' tail feathers and pausing the moult?
I really do think so now.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
With so many feathers finding the floor what do you think is the best way to clean up? I don't like to bend down too much so I actually use a pick up device. It works on picking up the smallest feather! I also use a hand vac. My carpet sweeper is the only device that will not pick up feathers.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
With so many feathers finding the floor what do you think is the best way to clean up?
I'm dead lucky in that I have a laminate floor, so a quick sweep and mop and we're all done in 10 minutes. I do get the vacuum out weekly because there's places a brush can't reach. I suppose if the room was carpeted it'd be the vacuum every day.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes you can spray the broom with water and the feathers will stick to it as you sweep. Budgies are little but OMG the feathers that fall!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol. Burt has seemingly been exploding a few times a week. I stopped counting at thirty feathers two days ago and that’s not including the down feathers. Omg!!!
The vac has been spending the day going from his area and then back to the budgies area because they have started nightly explosions of feathers too!
They do get everywhere and o have trouble bending that often so the vac is my best buddy! Lol.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have a robot vacumme?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do but I haven’t set it up yet. I’m thinking of using it in the budgie area.

I love using the big vac around Burt....it makes him waffle away like he is having a full on conversation with the vac. It is the best time for me to know what he can say lol. Everything he can say gets said while the vacuum is running! It’s so hard to vacuum successfully while giggling non stop at the things he says.