• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can someone explain

Charlie be

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gill
Hi how can a happy African grey end up being put 2 sleep within 2 day.
Charlie was a rescue ill treated for 40 years. When I took him in he had a bare chest and a bald head. He settled in well had the best of everything and was happy. His feathers were regrowing he would let me pick him up when he arrived I had to use chainmail gloved to hold him. He would spend every evening sat on my lap watching TV.
I noticed he was at bottom of his cage. He wretched a few times and brought up clear liquid. He would ear a little but drink a lot. He still was going to the toilet but not as much the vet said it was watery. He sat in his food dish was so weak he could hardly lift his head. Vet checked him over. Said all of his bad diet and neglect had finally caught up with him, he had lost weight. He was put to sleep. I am devastated and heartbroken. Cam anyone tell me how this could happen. He had the best of everything and was a happy bird. Thanks for your time

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for your loss. Although he had a great life with you, it does sound like years of a not so great life did catch up with him. Poor diet and who know what else he might have been exposed to probably took its toll. Try to take comfort in knowing that you made the end of his life a happy one.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like the bad diet caught up to him. Most likely his kidneys failed. You gave him a good life at the end, so be happy he was happy finally.

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
This is what happened to me with my heart bird. Her name was Hylia, she was a cockatiel and a rehome. Years of an all seed parakeet formulated diet, which was only at the top of the list of wrongdoings followed by many others eventually caught up with her. I noticed she was a bit off one day and immediately took her to an avian certified vet. She was hospitalized and died 1.5 days later. Nothing I could have done would have stopped what happened. I switched her diet, I got her a bigger cage, no one smokes inside or outside of my home etc…but this only delayed the effects of many years of poor care.

Hang in there. Grief sucks, especially in these early days. These incredibly difficult moments eventually will space out in time. :sadhug:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m very sorry. I’m sure you did your best. :sorrow:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry for your loss. We always try to give them their best life, but past trauma catches up with some, unfortunately.
It was nice you made his last days good ones. xx

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.