• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Can some one please help me!? URGENT! cockatiel swollen belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Even though the photos are unclear, it appears those poops are formed....white urine...thats a good sign...not black....
--------------------------------------------------

Sharp clear pix's would help.

From what is showing there appears to be a white bloom to the feces part which can be an indication od a bacterial infection.

pepper

Moving in
IM SOOO SORRY!

there was a huge riot here in Egypt because of the election to change the constitution and my brother couldn't pass by with a camera and my net got cut off, first of all (i have CAMERA PHONE) there is no other way that i cant take a better picture with the same camera. i took him to a vet supposedly the best in Egypt Dr.berige he is German so i though hey he might know a thing or two, when i took kurt to him he told me he is absolutely healthy that he just has a fat belly! is that possible? or what i mean is is that where the belly is!?..( and also he told me he cant tell whether its a boy or a girl without tests and i didn't want him to do anything to kurt yet!

pepper

Moving in

A seed diet is fine. When health issues arise diet is only a portion of the problem. Ohter contributors to health issues are lack of good lighing, lack of excersise.

he get ALOT of sunshine and fresh air everyday and he always flies around i dont like clipping bird wings so he is always flying when i go to the kitchen he beets me to it when i get home he flies to me and when we are just sitting he keeps flying in circles and landing again

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
So glad your okay.

Is your bird playing, preening, pooing, perching, eating and drinking okay? Does s/he appear tired or lethargic or fluffed up? Does s/he have dried poo anywhere near the vent? Are his/her eyes clear and bright? What about discharge from her nares? Do you have a scale so you can keep track of his/her weight.

If you post a photo of his/her face, I'm sure somebody on here could give you an idea of gender.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wellhe looks like he is ok then.....so glad you came through the riots ok...hugs

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
IM SOOO SORRY!

there was a huge riot here in Egypt because of the election to change the constitution and my brother couldn't pass by with a camera and my net got cut off, first of all (i have CAMERA PHONE) there is no other way that i cant take a better picture with the same camera. i took him to a vet supposedly the best in Egypt Dr.berige he is German so i though hey he might know a thing or two, when i took kurt to him he told me he is absolutely healthy that he just has a fat belly! is that possible? or what i mean is is that where the belly is!?..( and also he told me he cant tell whether its a boy or a girl without tests and i didn't want him to do anything to kurt yet!
:hug8: understand your country is going through a lot right now and safety of your family is the main thing...what type of leafy greens do you have there? Washing really good because I know a lot of countries use pesticides on their veggies...not good for humans eithers...also...do you know how to sprout the seeds you have for your bird?
HolisticBird and HolisticBirds
This is the place to start sprouting!
Hope this helps you.....:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw what a cutie! Is he doing any better? Glad that you made it ok through the riots :hug8:.

pepper

Moving in
OK...I put together a couple pix's for reference so that you can look at the abdomen of your tiel... (click for a larger view)
it looks like nither of the pictures the belly has more feathers and its brownish red, and i can see a blue thing that kinda looks like a vien

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...if the thing you see feels hard or muscular when you put your fingers on it it may be the gizzard....though it should not be enlarged at the age your bird looks. When young the gizzrd is very prominent in the abdomen and will give the baby a bottom heavy look. But by the time it is weaned and eating on it's own it reduces in size and the abdomen area should be flat and taunt feeling.

If the skin has a dark look and looks lumpy looking there is a possibility that there is a partial impaction in the intestines and/or the gizzard.

Attachments

pepper

Moving in
no the vainy look alike is not hard the whole belly seems soft but there are two bone like things near the poop hole

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The bone like things near the vent are the pelvic bones. If you press on the area your fingertip will fit right between them because the bones are flexible.

If the abdomen feel soft and fluidy it could be some fluid accumualtion (ascites) going on

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK....first you need to determine if it is ascite. Here is a link to check out: ONLINE AVIAN MEDICENE - Just Cockatiels! At the top of the page is the link to the online manual. Click on it, and it will bring up links to each chapter. You will want to go to chapter 19 click on each page until you get to page 515 This chapter will give some infoas to ascites and the causes. Continue reading into chaper 20 because if there is any liver issues contributing to the ascites they will need to be addressed.

If you have a vet willing to learn and work with you you can give him the link to the Online Avian medicine book so that he can study it.

As to treatment, it depends on the amount of fluid. If alot a vet would have to draw excess fluids from the abdomen. the bird would also have to be put on a duiretic such as lasix OR dandelion extract (from a health food store) can be added to the water for a few weeks to stimulate the body to excrete excess fluids.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Hope your little one is going to be ok. Any updates?

birdgirl24

Sitting on the front steps
Kurt looks like my girl did before she dropped seven eggs! You have a pretty bird. I hope all is well with you and Kurt?!

Status
Not open for further replies.