• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Can some one please help me!? URGENT! cockatiel swollen belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper

Moving in
okay so i live in Egypt and thus the veterinarian help here is bull, i mean they rarely know anything about birds they can only tell you if they will die or live and thats not much help.
anyways i have a new male lutino cockatiel (at least i think he is a male he has a yellow face and bright orange cheeks) his name is Kurt Cobain and he has been with me for about a month now ,we clicked right away, the first two days he was scared but i sat down beside him everyday reading him fairytale stories and then he just kept following me around, i know seeds are not spouse to be his complete diet (he is about 4 months old now or at least thats what the guy at the pet store told me ,he has fluffy feathers under the big feathers) but in Egypt all they feed them is seeds so he wont eat any vegetables he just started nibbling at green pees and carrots but just nibbles.

today i noticed that the area right behind "between the legs" and until his butt hole is a bit swollen not HUGELY swollen just a little and it doesn't seem to bother him and he doesn't seem to have any other type of problem he poops regally with the normal dark green/or/light green and white colors eats normally flies normally, please help im really worried i love him sooo much and i don't want to be doing anything wrong :(

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Congrats on your baby, and you've come to the right place!

Can you post a photo of this swollen area?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Hopefully a site Moderator can move this thread to the 911 section. I believe certain people are notified when a posting is made there, and those knowledgeable people can comment.
Unfortunatly, I cannot tell from the photo how serious the situation is.

Is your little man behaving normally otherwise? Perching okay? Are his feathers fluffed up?
Keep some heat on one side of his cage, and keep him quiet. Watch for other signs of illness, and see if you can describe his poops for us.

pepper

Moving in
No! other than this he acts completely normal sleeps normal, only fluffs his feathers after he cleans himself and shakes and its always warm...he stays with me all day when im at home and I'm home A LOT, i go out only about a few hours once or twice a week max, and when im home until i put him to bed at night about (7 pm) he is always with on my shoulder, chest or head i would've noticed any other weird behavior but there isn't

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I hope your little one feels better very soon! :hug8: The pictures sort of look like a female getting ready to lay an egg? I don't know a whole lot about cockatiels but do female lutinos have orange cheeks?:o: Four months old would probably be too young if it were a female anyways...:huh: I'm sure a moderator will be along soon!! :hug8:
Great questions Kim!
Edit..does he hold his poop when on your shoulder? Olivia's vent area will look like that if she's held her potty for awhile.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello & welcome! Can you please get another pic and spread the feathers around the 'lump'. Susanne{srtiels} is our cockatiel expert. Unfortunately my pc is down so I cannot e-mail her. I can try to call her later. Good luck. Sending positive energy.:hug8:

pepper

Moving in
no he dosnt really mind pooping on me! couldnt really get him to stop, i have a special poop shirt just for him.

ill taking another picture my camera is really bad

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
A picture of his poo would be helpful too :)
I see the thread is in 911 now! Thats good....help is on the way.

pepper

Moving in
i tired taking another picture while spreading the feathers he wouldn't let me keeps turning around and rubbing his head on my finger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am thinking the guy in the pet store is wrong and this is an older female with an egg..that is exactly how my bird looks when she is getting ready to lay an egg......stay calm.....provide extra calcium..like a cuttle bone mineral block..broccoli and kale.....if she doesnt lay the egg after a few days then take her in the washroom....run the shower on hot for about 10 minutes...of course you are holding her while you are standing in the room...not in the actual shower..the steam may help release the egg..have you notice any larger than normal runny poops? that is also usually a percrussor...any chirping kind of noises? be ready for anything...however on closer examination I see it looks almost like some kind of cyst or tumor.....hopefully SRtiels will come on shortly.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
i tired taking another picture while spreading the feathers he wouldn't let me keeps turning around and rubbing his head on my finger
Get someone to hold him/hold his head still, while you take the pic.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What kind of camera do you have? Do you have a macro function?

Ginger

pepper

Moving in
Well tonight my brother will come by with a better camera,mine is a camera phone, and he will help me while holding him

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Even though the photos are unclear, it appears those poops are formed....white urine...thats a good sign...not black....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Can you take a side view picture of your cockatiel several feet back, so we can see an overall view? :)

Is this lump recent, or has is always had it?

When you got him, how was he caged? Many cockatiel on a dirty cage? Did they all appear lively and healthy?

pepper

Moving in
No he didn't always have it, i realized it this morning. i didn't see where he came from here in egypt you usually go to a store u tell him the specifiacs of what you want and he gets it, but what i know about how they treat them is that they are kept in a large room (different ages different rooms) some stores don't, but they get them from the guy who has the rooms with the birds and they just leave them bird seeds and water.
i will post all better pictures later tonight, just waiting for my brother to pass by

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
i live in Egypt and thus the veterinarian help here is bull, i mean they rarely know anything about birds
---------------------------------------

Irregardless of what you think of the vets there they do have access to several things to use as diagnostics to determine problems.

1...Most vets have a high powered microscope. They also know how to do grams stains and fecal floats.

2...They also send out cultures to labs. If their labs also do acvian specimans the results are idiot proof for the vet to read. A culture report would list any overgrowth of pathogens such as bacteria and yeast, and the report would also lists what antobiotic or antifungal is most effective to treat with. vets have formulary books to calculate the proper dosages per species.

3...They can send out bloodwork to determine other problems, such as a systemic bacteria, liver enzymes levels, uric acid levels, etc.

ill taking another picture my camera is really bad
------------------------------------------------------
Even crappy cheap point and shoot cameras can take good pix's. That is what I use, with good results. What you want to do is use the auto setting of the camera. Take the pix from 18" or more from the subject. If when you partially press the shutter button wait until the little green focusing squares show. Take some shots with and without flash. Download your pix's into your computer. USE the CROP tool to crop out the excess background so that only the portion of the photo you want to show is left.

Egypt all they feed them is seeds so he wont eat any vegetables he just started nibbling at green pees and carrots but just nibbles.

A seed diet is fine. When health issues arise diet is only a portion of the problem. Ohter contributors to health issues are lack of good lighing, lack of excersise. As to not eating veggies (tiels don't eat fruit) don't expect miracles with a new bird. They learn by repetition on offerring new items. Most tiels do not eat the entire vegetable,...like with peas and corn they eat the inside and leave the skin because it is hard to digest. With leafy greens they will selectively eat only the areas where they know the most nutrients are. When done most of the greens may be left with a mangled look and little holes throughout it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.