• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can other birds be in a cage with mousebirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Softbill luvr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aldren
Such as cape doves african harlequin quail finches etc. If they can what can they eat that the mouseys wont or will they eat fruit also what maybe could be put in a cage with mousebirds where everything was good or can that be done

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I would not put a mousebird in a cage/flight with seed eating birds for a couple of reasons. Mousebirds don't eat seeds....and they will use the seed dish as a bathing dish and scatter the seed out of the bowl....which over time can starve out the seed eater.

Mousebirds are rather timid. Other birds can pluck and harass the mousebird.

Attachments

Softbill luvr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aldren
If i did get another softbill such as honeycreepers would that be ok because they eat fruit so just the seedeaters is the issue

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I would keep the honeycreepers in a separate cage.

A cockatiel (is a non aggressive bird) will get along with a mousebird, but as to the diet should be kept in separate cages. They can interact in a separate cage.

In the book Kiki The Mousebird, which is an old out of print book that you can go to alibris.com: Alibris: Kiki the Mousebird

The Mousebird in the book shared sleeping and housing with a Mannikin finch....similar to this: Black and White Mannikin - Lonchura Bicolor (3.5" - 4") This place wholsales imported birds (where I got the parents of your BN) and I am thinking of getting some mannikins to put in the larger flights with some mousebirds. The flights are large enough (4' x 8') that there should not be aggression.

Softbill luvr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aldren
I thought that place was a scam i guess not how much do mouseys cost there and are they at all friendly or are they breeders i may be interested in getting some there too

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely not..it is never a good idea to keep separate species in the same cage....the only possibilities are canaries and finches together.....I would not do it.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I thought that place was a scam
-------------------------------------

How in the world did you think this place was a scam? They are a very reputable source, and one of the few importers of softbills.

They have not had mousebirds in for well over 2 years. I have been occassionally asking them when, and they don't plan to in the future. Aside from that ALL the birds are wild caught, and non are tame. To a serious breeder these wild caught birds are new bloodlines to the captive bred birds in the US

Imports are essential for the longevity of captive bird collections. This is one reason why there are almost no more Speckled in private breeders collections because the cative populations has very few bloodlines, and most have become old and non-reproductive.

Softbill luvr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aldren
What do you need to get those birds just call and ask to get them or do you need permits

patagonian

Hit the Road
Isn't there a possibility to house different species of conures togethe?

chad

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
What do you need to get those birds just call and ask to get them or do you need permits
------------------------------------------------------------

You can order right from the page if it has an add to the cart. You would have to have a credit card for payment. They add shipping to the total...approx $100-120.00

Status
Not open for further replies.