• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can old amazon parrots still learn to talk?

cktyu

Checking out the neighborhood
I am planning to get an old amazon parrot from a friend who cannot take care of it anymore. Can I still teach it new words at the age of 20?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely, you can teach. I'm sure he/she will love the interaction when you sing, read books and tell stories, my bird just loves when I talk to him. He listens so intently to the story I'm telling him. Now whether the bird will repeat anything you say is entirely up to the bird but it will certainly enhance your relationship with the bird to spend time interacting with him/her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not a question of ability, but rather a question of desire :lol:

Ripley my Jardine's doesn't really talk much at all but he is 20 and he's learned a few new words and many new sounds since living with me the last year :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I am planning to get an old amazon parrot from a friend who cannot take care of it anymore. Can I still teach it new words at the age of 20?
Oh yea. No problem. They getting better at talking as they age. Which by the way, 20 isn't old for an amazon. Coming up on just under mid age.
Amazons try very hard to talk and have conversations with you. It may at times sound like gibberish. But if you really pay attention, you'll see they use certain vowels, syllables they can say..... For example, when my zon learned new things she did same... " ahw...ubb..uuu. "
( I love you) ...aairr rrrrr eeeee ooing.....( Where are we going)... You get the picture...work with them, repetition, and you'll be surprised what they say. Or sing!

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
You can try, but it's up to them whether they'll parrot them back.

With mine it's been a mixed bag. Bug knows a lot of words and phrases, but over time he doesn't talk much as he once did, if at all. Fern would talk up a storm for hours at a time, but her vocalizations changed by being with us. I didn't set out to teach her, and we're a quiet introverted bunch, so she only learned her name while she was here, but I think she could have learned a lot more if I put effort into it. Rusty Waterworks is new and seems to prefer mimicking sounds and answering imaginary phones. They're all rescues, some older some not, and they all know "how are you? How you doing? Hi/hello."

But as Karen said, don't let that deter you. They love being talked to.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret was in a home in the 70's.

While I refer to the bird as a her, Secret is a DNA male blue front, wild caught.

I taught her to turn in a circle and she learned very quickly. She's learned whistles and has come out with a few new words or put them together in our home. We don't work on talking, it's accidental here.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
As Hawk12237 pointed out, 20 is not old for an Amazon. I had a YCA named George who lived to be almost 70 years old. George learned new words up until the last year of his life-- though not necessarily words I wanted him to learn. Parrots listen to everything and choose for themselves what to say.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
As Hawk12237 pointed out, 20 is not old for an Amazon. I had a YCA named George who lived to be almost 70 years old. George learned new words up until the last year of his life-- though not necessarily words I wanted him to learn. Parrots listen to everything and choose for themselves what to say.
Exactly, and to add to it...Amazon's don't just say things for the heck of it, they think it out and say words appropriately to the situation.
I'll make something for my birds and my zon will look at it and ask " what is it? " .. So I explain it to her. Or if I want to put her on perch she'll turn and look at me and say" no, I want to go with you daddy" .... Or if I yawn, she'll say " are you tired? "
So she knows when and how to use words.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Secret was in a home in the 70's.

While I refer to the bird as a her, Secret is a DNA male blue front, wild caught.

I taught her to turn in a circle and she learned very quickly. She's learned whistles and has come out with a few new words or put them together in our home. We don't work on talking, it's accidental here.

I actually don't work on talking to my zon per se, rather we have a couple times a day of one on one together where I sit out side with her.
I just talk, use expressions, point to things use excitement in voice. For example, when sitting outside I'll see a jet fly over head, point it out and say " oh look, an airplane...do you see it? " Now she knows what air plane is and says " I see it! "
It's just sitting and talking, they pick up on emotions, excitement, things pointed out, and can relay those emotions, excitement and what things are.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I knew a male eclectus, 23 (iirc) who learned to talk while I knew him. He started saying "hey mister" any time someone came into the building (this was at a zoo). The keepers always have him treats until he said it consistently and started learning new phrases (and then those were rewarded)

cktyu

Checking out the neighborhood
That is good to hear! I have been reading some websites and they mention of a learning window on how they stop learning after a certain age. Got me skeptical

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thats the thing these days... everyone’s an expert :)

Thankfully, we have AA

Your own Experience with birds is the best teacher. It can't be learned from net, or books, it's trial and error. Books and net is generalized...because no two birds are exactly alike. Even same species. 45 years of parroting and I'm still learning. My birds teach me.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I have been reading some websites and they mention of a learning window on how they stop learning after a certain age. Got me skeptical
There's very little we know about how they learn language in the wild* let alone their how they're able to do what they do in captivity. And science shouldn't be a static thing it should always be evolving.

*I remember seeing one clip of a researcher trying to understand how yellow naped amazon's chicks learn language, but poachers are robbing nests where he's doing his research.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
There's very little we know about how they learn language in the wild* let alone their how they're able to do what they do in captivity. And science shouldn't be a static thing it should always be evolving.

*I remember seeing one clip of a researcher trying to understand how yellow naped amazon's chicks learn language, but poachers are robbing nests where he's doing his research.

Yes it is very interesting. What really surprises me is the fact that they can learn and speak many languages, and not only that, but understand it. Seen a grey speak chinese, and understand the commands in that language.
Seen birds speak Spanish and know what is said. Really amazing! Parrots are much smarter than we give them credit for. A grey is listed as the 7th smartest animal on the planet. that was on NOVA a while back...Go figure.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd say yes, if we learn to listen. Buddy only says a few words at between 25-27, in his voicebox voice. However we play & talk a bunch. I taught him to say I love you. only tell him about 1 million times a day. He mimics the sounds as many have mentioned & usually to get my attention. I taught him the word Wow, but that one word is a love/hate word. He is either saying it or mocking screeches @ it when I say it.

He tells me birdy stories all the time! To the untrained observer it looks like I totally understand the story, once in awhile I actually do. I'm sincerely listening, but it's birdy language, clicks, & pops, an occasional whistle. As far as him listening & understanding, whole different story. He has an awesome understanding of my/our words in english. I think my Dad talked to him all the time. I know we do.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes! In the last few months I have taught Chico (Panama Amazon) to sing - he's over 50 years old and has been with me 5 years.