• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can my budgie be afraid of hands if he still hand feeds?

Saya

Meeting neighbors
I feel like my budgie might be afraid of hands but he still lets me hand feed him in, on, and off his cage. He won't let me get near him in or on his cage without food, but away from the cage he's completely fine. What's going on here?

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Did you just get him or have you had him awhile? Does he run away or just move over? He may never have been on a hand or finger and will have to be trained to step up.

Saya

Meeting neighbors
Did you just get him or have you had him awhile? Does he run away or just move over? He may never have been on a hand or finger and will have to be trained to step up.
I've had him for 4 months, he was hand raised but he was returned twice for being a "shizz head". He moves over. and if he's not in or on his cage he'll step up just fine

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
This happened with my budgie too. All I did is to use food to get her to step up and praised him when she did. It will take time to get him used to you, just keep working with him, and praise him with his favorite treats when he does something you like. Sorry if I wasn't much help. My birdie wanted to say hi by the way.:bounce3:

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just because a bird was hand fed does not mean they will like to be touched.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I think the reply to use food is good.that is how I get my green cheek to go in her cage without a hassle. Maybe he feels more comfortable or safer on his cage tan elsewhere. Just keep working on it and make it nice away from his cage so he will eventually want to go.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My Hahns Macaw is still being hand fed and enjoys neck scratches both in and away from her cage. She will not step up onto my hand from her cage though. I have to offer her my forearm or shoulder.

My Velcro adult Sun Conure couldn't get close enough to me - but hands were a no no. If I wanted to scratch his head, I could do so with my chin, nose or any part of my face - but fingers were not allowed. It was almost like he didn't recognise that my hands were part of me. For a very long time (years) he lunged at them when he saw them. At the time he could be sitting on me, snuggling into the crook of my neck, but at the same time my hands were the enemy. He never ever bit though.

This did improve, but hand were never accepted. Also, even though he was re-homed to me at 5 years, I'm confident that I know his history and he was never abused and was a well loved hand raised bird. He just didn't care for hands and sometimes you just have to accept that about your bird.

So my advice is offer your forearm, with a treat as a reward when he steps up.

Last edited:

Saya

Meeting neighbors
My Hahns Macaw is still being hand fed and enjoys neck scratches away from her cage. She will not step up onto my hand from her cage though. I have to offer her my forearm or shoulder.

My Velcro adult Sun Conure couldn't get close enough to me - but hands were a no no. If I wanted to scratch his head, I could do so with my chin, nose or any part of my face - but fingers were not allowed. It was almost like he didn't recognise that my hands were part of me. For a very long time (years) he lunged at them when he saw them. At the time he could be sitting on me, snuggling into the crook of my neck, but at the same time my hands were the enemy. He never ever bit though.

This did improve, but hand were never accepted. Also, even though he was re-homed to me at 5 years, I'm confident that I know his history and he was never abused and was a well loved hand raised bird. He just didn't care for hands and sometimes you just have to accept that about your bird.

So my advice is offer your forearm, with a treat as a reward when he steps up.
THANK YOU I WILL DEFINITELY TRY THIS

Reactions: TWR

Saya

Meeting neighbors
This happened with my budgie too. All I did is to use food to get her to step up and praised him when she did. It will take time to get him used to you, just keep working with him, and praise him with his favorite treats when he does something you like. Sorry if I wasn't much help. My birdie wanted to say hi by the way.:bounce3:
oh she's so cute!! Thank you for the advice