• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I see your cage setup for your African Grey ....

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave

This is my Kamara's cage.
Older picture so the setup now is different, but this conveys the size of it compared to her. I actually consider it a little too small, but she's disabled.
This is what I would use if I was working full time but I'm retired and interact with Tinker out of his cage no less than six hours a day.

Beautiful cage for sure.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what I would use if I was working full time but I'm retired and interact with Tinker out of his cage no less than six hours a day.

Beautiful cage for sure.
Mara's 100% free range in her room so a big cage isn't really necessary, but she loves it and it's her safe space. She uses every square inch. :D

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've just spent thousands on this CAG, and I honestly can not justify the pricing of parrot cages that I am seeing. The African Grey is a medium-sized bird. It is not a Macaw or a Hyacinth Macaw. With that said, I just can not justify placing this parrot in a massive cage, which I do not have room for in my home in the first place, and secondly he just doesn't need.
First be really happy that you don't live in Sweden because our law says that minimum size cage for a Grey is 48 x 32".
I think you should get another smaller parrot, or perhaps another animal if you can't give the bird what he needs.
If you don't understand that a bird can't have a to big cage, and like you say, "he doesn't need a big cage" you know nothing about parrots.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise is in a 36 x 28 and it is too small. It is filled with colorful toys, 2 wood perches, and one rope perch. She has plastic space ship kind of ball that rattles, bells bells bells, and 2-3 toys with wood. She has a playtop that she loves as well as a playtop tree with all kinds of toys. She is out when I am home, fully flighted so she goes to what interests her. Louise is a chainsaw, her favorite toys are by @Macawnutz's store, but to keep up with her, I also have a closet full of toy wood toy parts. You will have to experiment to find what your bird will like. Louise likes a variety of wood, pine, balsa--but loves wood with embedded spindles and balls (@Macawnutz/Seriously nuts). I understand that you feel the cage you have selected is big enough and people do keep CAGs in that size, I just know the bigger the cage for Louise, the more she likes it, she loves the stimulation of toys and to play inside it. I have a larger cage from expandable habitats picked out for her, it is just a matter of when...

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Actually the best thing is to allow your CAG the full range of your house or apartment an never cage them at all. Make the whole place bird safe but we know that isn't practical.

The real solution is to ban ownership of any birds at all.

This will never happen because humans want the forced companionship or parrots for self gratification.
Sad but true as history has shown.

The human in this case has said he will look for a bigger cage for his gray so lets not drive him to some other site.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I’ll start this post in a way to not take sides.

Here’s a few points to think about to put size into a better perspective.
  • The bird needs room to move
  • Room for the food bowls
  • Multiple perches of different sizes
  • Room for toys while still having the room to move listed above
___This goes with facts and more of my opinion___

My Grey and my family’s Greys all have 10x10 rope swings that would take up that space plus room to swing leaving less than half of the 24x24 cage useable for other items.

I couldn’t see that swing fitting in a small cage let alone toys, perches or the bird.

My cage is 36x28 and is too small. It already looks too cramped with his toys, perches and bowls. I want to double the length of my boy’s cage. He’s disabled (half a wing and only 1 foot with only half his toes) doesn’t get around as well as other birds. I can’t get a normal parrot cage as it’s to tall and a fall risk but I can double the length (by attaching 2 cages) so he has more room for toys and moving around and that’s what I’m looking to do.

I personally believe the money for the cage and all needs should be the 1st thing researched (learned by experience sadly). Money then sat aside for before the purchase of an animal. Some times we run into animals and can’t do this but research and items needed should be the top 2 priorities if at all possible. Maybe if you’re getting a bird from a breeder you can ask if they will put the deposit on a different baby giving you more time to save up for a large cage that should work for the birds life time it’s a lot cheaper than buying a cage that’s to small and upgrading later.

I live in a small trailer home so don’t really have the room but I’ll make it work as that’s part of having him. My bed room still has room for all my clothes, bedding, bed and computer. I believe my animals should also have room for all their places to sleep, play, eat and whatever else they want to do. We can leave our rooms and even our homes they’re stuck in their cage (“rooms”) unless we let them out.

I also believe your line “The bird will be living in my home ....I will not be living in his.” Is a VERY bad way of looking at it when you get a bird it’s now the bird’s house too. Everything a bird sees is the birds.

If you let the bird out of the cage it’s going to chew anything it can and use the house as a bathroom too. That’s just part of having a bird you have to accept.

As for having birds for years… Just because you have had birds in the past doesn’t mean past care or beliefs are correct. Time we as humans have spent with animals we have learned past care info is wrong. Best example I can come up with is fish related. When I was a kid under gravel filters were good filters and the nitrogen cycle wasn’t a big thing. Now we know more about the nitrogen cycle and how under gravel filters may make the water look clean but keeps all the bad stuff in the tank. Gravel filters are now mostly avoided and advised against.

Please do always try to find new up to date info and be willing to look at it with an open mind. Even human care and needs are now understood differently and have changed the same goes for our animals.

_____For a little more context______

I got my baby as a kid still living with my parents and we had only had parakeets and cockatiels up till then. We didn’t know what we needed to know going in and I already had to upgrade his cage once from a 32x21 to the 36x28, as he’s disabled as a younger bird his 36x28 cage worked well for him. He had a lot of problems getting around and falling. As he’s got older falling is still a problem but he can now get around better and could use the room he should have had some time ago. In some ways I want to say going with to small a cage in the beginning was a mistake I wish I could take back but with him going through cage sizes up to a point was the right option. He was too unstable as a baby. He’s overdue for an upgrade now and I’m now at a point where I don’t have much money. I need to set money aside every month while still buying all his food and toys to build up what I need for a 2nd cage. One thing I wish I could have done was kept money aside in case he got better at getting around and I could have then already upgraded cages again. If he was a normal healthy grey I would be VERY mad at myself for going through cages and not just starting in his forever cage. The money on my end and stress on his end.

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
Since this is a baby a 24 x 24 cage will be just fine till you can get something not less than the one I have for Tinker.
Not sure how big your gray is, but some in the stores around here are 500 grams at 18 months old. Tinkers parent were not huge grays so I thinking he will be on the small side as well.

If your CAG is going to be able to fly and allowed to venture around the house supervised he will get all the exercise he needs.

I had tinker in a 24 x 24 for the first little while as well. Teresa went for the bigger one because with all the big toys it seemed crowded to her.

Keep looking as I'm sure you will find a good used cage in your area eventually.
Good luck with the search.
My CAG baby was the 2nd hatched out of a clutch of 3. The first hatched is a large baby Boy ....and the last one is small. I probably won't bring him home until he is close to 4-months old which will be in early June. Most of the toys I have for him are all foot toys, with only a few hanging toys, as I don't know how his climbing ability will be when I get him home. Yes, I'm still looking for that larger used cage in my area. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
Actually the best thing is to allow your CAG the full range of your house or apartment an never cage them at all. Make the whole place bird safe but we know that isn't practical.

The real solution is to ban ownership of any birds at all.

This will never happen because humans want the forced companionship or parrots for self gratification.
Sad but true as history has shown.

The human in this case has said he will look for a bigger cage for his gray so lets not drive him to some other site.
Thank You. Because at this point I am ready to leave this forum and website and find another .........

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Thank You. Because at this point I am ready to leave this forum and website and find another .........
Well I hope you stay as there is very good information on this site. We also have some very passionate bird people here as well.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
This brings up another option for the OP, which is to bird-proof a room or train your bird to the point where he or she is virtually cageless and only uses the cage to sleep. I've always let my budgies have free flight around our spare room all day unsupervised, and it works out fine. They prefer to hang out on the windowsill or on top of their cage the majority of the time, so clean up isn't bad. They have a decent-sized cage, but I don't really see the need for a "flight" cage as many people recommend because the entire room is more like their cage. If you can provide this type of situation for your grey, it might be okay. Otherwise, it's understandably seen as cruel to coop a bird up in a tiny cage for long periods.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
What I see here is we condemn the man for having a two small of cage. He did say he is looking for a larger one. I have seen cages for macaws put up and suggestions for a bird room. I have also seen someone presume he might not even spend the money for a vet.

What I have not seen is anyone condemn us all for keeping birds that should be free flighted in the wild.
We all need to look in a mirror an ask ourselves why!

I realize people sometimes get into this not know all the info as it's obvious from the posts. We should be condemning the breeders and retailers for not educating their customers.

So having said that it is now our job to help people and guide them.

Lets do it without the nastiness I see in posts on this site and this thread.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard

This is my Kamara's cage.
Older picture so the setup now is different, but this conveys the size of it compared to her. I actually consider it a little too small, but she's disabled.
I have the exact same cage and I always think the cages which have playtop is better for Kido.

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
My cage setup and the playstand. Ive got an open door cage policy aslong as i am home to keep a close eye on them. When i am not at home they are in the cage till i get back.

Both my AG's love thier cage and they even climb in themselves if its bed time or they want their night time healthy seed snacks.

Its a game for them to chase each other from the cage to the play stand.

Attachments

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
The more space the better, this goes for all animals. Not just parrots :)

That said, if you will spend a considerate amount of time with your bird outside the cage, then just do the best you can :) Nobody here means bad :) We are all just trying to look after the bird’s wellbeeing. I understand you might think of beeing attacked, but look at it the other way... Everyone here is trying to help you give your bird the best life possible! You would really do yourself a disservice leaving this forum, as it is packed with knowledge and experience. Use it. Life isn’t always roses and butterfly’s, neither is this forum. But everyone here has your birds wellbeing first in their mind. Don’t you think thats wonderful??

Trial and error teaches us things, so have those who went before you, use whatever information you can use.. its free :)

On that note.. DO post pictures of your CAG, we love those :heart: