• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I pair a blue masked lovebird with a green masked ?

Beau

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Beau
Hi all. I'm new here so I hope I've posted in the right place. I'm wanting advice about masked lovebirds. I have blue masked and green masked cohabitating in the same aviary. One of my blue masked seems to have paired up with one of my green masked. It's this ok from a genetic point of veiw? If so what colour will their chicks be? Any advice would be grateful received. Thank you.
Beau Christine

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Yes, it is fine as long as they are not related. As for the offspring, unless there are splits involved, all babies will be the normal phenotype (the green, wild coloration).

Beau

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Beau
Welcome! Yes, it is fine as long as they are not related. As for the offspring, unless there are splits involved, all babies will be the normal phenotype (the green, wild coloration).
Thank you for your reply. I will have to look up splits as the genetics of birds just seems to go right over my head. Im excited about this (the possibility of getting green chicks ) as all of my masked lovebirds are blue except for these two green ones I've managed to purchase. They are siblings so I obviously can't pair them together. Fingers crossed once paired up with my blues, I will be able to get some green offspring eventually. Masked lovebirds are rather difficult to find where I live in New Zealand. Thanks again for your help.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for your reply. I will have to look up splits as the genetics of birds just seems to go right over my head. Im excited about this (the possibility of getting green chicks ) as all of my masked lovebirds are blue except for these two green ones I've managed to purchase. They are siblings so I obviously can't pair them together. Fingers crossed once paired up with my blues, I will be able to get some green offspring eventually. Masked lovebirds are rather difficult to find where I live in New Zealand. Thanks again for your help.
You are welcome! You can try playing around with this genetics calculator if you wish to try and see different possible outcomes: Genetic Calculator 1.3 White eye-ring group Lovebirds . If you are looking for green (wild) offspring, with one green parent you are guaranteed to get some eventually as that is a dominant mutation and the blue mutation is recessive. This means that unless both parents have at least one copy of the gene, none of the offspring will be visually blue. They can be split to it however.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
unless both parents have at least one copy of the gene
It clarify, if the Green bird is split to Blue (one green parent and one blue parent), then there is a chance of Blue chicks. If they are not split to Blue, then the chicks will all be Green split to Blue.