• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I give her ....

Steff

Meeting neighbors
Can I give Nancy my caique Brussel sprouts. Thanks

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I buy frozen ones and I thaw them. All of my birds enjoy them :)

Good eats Nancy!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I haven't tried them yet with our guys. I'll pick some up next time I go to the store. :tup:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I haven't tried them yet with our guys. I'll pick some up next time I go to the store. :tup:
The only down side is they can get smelly fast on hot days. However they have great vitamins and are super easy.

A few of my everyday veggies are broccoli florets, brussel sprouts, bok choy and carrot. I mix up other things but those 4 are steeples. Partly because of the great shelf life. :) My birds won't accept a lot of frozen veg..luckily broccoli and brussel sprouts are happily accepted.

Also they seem to prefer frozen thawed raspberry, which is interesting. I think fresh raspberries change state quickly. The frozen were stored shortly after picking. I have even done side by side.. out of curiosity. They prefer the frozen raspberries. I watch a lecture that explained how parrots UV vision helps them find perfectly ripe fruit. Really amazing stuff :) :geek:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I found it for you :)

I would suggest watching the whole thing, it is a very nice presentation. The bit on UV starts around 40 min if you wanted to skip to it.

Steff

Meeting neighbors
Her main vegetables are corn peas (frozen that’s the only frozen vegetable she will eat ) fresh is green beans snow peas snap peas and one other vegetable to have her try. I also give her one fruit it could be a strawberry, cherry, raspberry or apple. I have tried lots of fruits but those she likes. I also give her a small portion of birdie bread as a snack sometime during the day. Thanks everybody for the information I’m always trying new things with Nancy.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You can try some dried fruits if you want something for foraging toys. Currents work well for my little parrots. I also chop up Turkish figs. :)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@fashionfobie it was very interesting lecture. I wish she had time to tell everything she wanted. Sometimes I stopped the video to see the slides she was skipping. It was so funny when she was talking about people putting fingers in her amazon's cage, and her face when she asked: why? Thanks to this I understood that it is perfectly normal that Edgar allows me to put a hand into his cage to let him out, but is not happy when I touch his cage otherwise. And I understand why he is nipping my ear when he is on my shoulder and I'm talking to someone else.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@fashionfobie it was very interesting lecture. I wish she had time to tell everything she wanted. Sometimes I stopped the video to see the slides she was skipping. It was so funny when she was talking about people putting fingers in her amazon's cage, and her face when she asked: why? Thanks to this I understood that it is perfectly normal that Edgar allows me to put a hand into his cage to let him out, but is not happy when I touch his cage otherwise. And I understand why he is nipping my ear when he is on my shoulder and I'm talking to someone else.
I know! I wish she had more time. She was very good and thorough. She has done so much for parrots. :xflove: