• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I get a little love for Heartly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Heartly stay away from the fence!!! Hope he's feeling a bit better today. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Rimadyl is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. These type of medications work better for muscle or tendon injuries including bruises, sprains, strains or pulled muscles. It is the same as giving a person motrin (advil), naproxen (aleve), or meloxicam (Mobic) or metacam to a bird. There does not need to be visible swelling for them to be effective and inflammation can be internal (and microscopic) and have NO visible or palpable signs. Just like if you overexert yourself or have muscle pain when starting an exercise program.

An example of this is pleurisy. It is an inflammation of the lining of the lung. There are no visible signs. Just chest pain particularly when breathing. It also doesn't usually show up in an Xray. With pleurisy you can throw Tramadol and all kinds of narcotics at it and patients get little or no relief. Give them and Asprin or Motrin and WOW the pain is gone or signficantly reduced. Inflamation needs an anti-inflamatory for best results.

If you are not confortable with Rimadyl ask if there is a different anti-inflammatory they can give to dogs.

(advise given from an ER/ICU nurse perspective)

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow, great info and thanks so much Elaine!!:hug8:
Thanks Kacy.:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Wow, great info and thanks so much Elaine!!:hug8:
Thanks Kacy.:hug8:
You are welcome. I come across many people who just do not understand the purpose and need for anti-inflammatories. They think narcotics or even Ultram(tramadol) are better because they are stronger but then they return to ER because they are not better (and they are out of pain meds) and come to find out they didn't take the anti-inflamatories which is necessary to aid in healing. Also anti-inflammatories are meant for short term(7-14days usually) or intermittent use. Side effects or complications occur more commonly with longer term (more than a month) use. OF COURSE ANY MEDICATION CAN HAVE SIDE EFFECTS OR COMPLICATIONS.

(Medical personnel need to be more specific in their directions and the rational for medications and treatments. We are all (Veterinarians, Doctors, Nurses, Vet Techs, Respiratory Therapists, X-ray Techs) guilty at times.

Many hugs to you and Heartly:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Sending HEALING energy to Heartly...just catching up with this thread!:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Elaine, BF, and Pennie!:hug8: He is starting to put a little weight on it!! :heart:The eye looks better, no more weeping!:heart:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news Carole! Send him Aunt Judy hugs!!:heart:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
:heart: :heart: :heart: HEARTLY :heart: :heart: :heart: Have you ever looked for a koi (big goldfish) w/a heart on it (I remember seeing one once. Cows, too:D) I'm so glad Heartly's feeling better!
:heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so glad Heartly is feeling better.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone.:hug8: He seems to use the leg a little. But if he wants to run he picks it up and runs on three legs. Slow, but getting better a little each day.
Have you ever looked for a koi (big goldfish) w/a heart on it (I remember seeing one once. Cows, too:D)

I would not keep koi, as they get 3'+ and I have no place to keep them properly. I do have an Oranda with a heart on her face named Lovey.:)

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
What an attractive fish--I was trying to describe your setups w/your fish to my hubby, that they were like 3-D mobile works of art. I think he thought I was trying to set him up for a new interest on my part! :huh:

(I think a little scare thrown into a marriage every once in a while is a GOOD thing!) :embarassed:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Rimadyl is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. These type of medications work better for muscle or tendon injuries including bruises, sprains, strains or pulled muscles. It is the same as giving a person (advil), naproxen (aleve), or meloxicam (Mobic) or metacam to a bird. There does not need to be visible swelling for them to be effective and inflammation can be internal (and microscopic) and have NO visible or palpable signs. Just like if you overexert yourself or have muscle pain when starting an exercise program.

An example of this is pleurisy. It is an inflammation of the lining of the lung. There are no visible signs. Just chest pain particularly when breathing. It also doesn't usually show up in an Xray. With pleurisy you can throw Tramadol and all kinds of narcotics at it and patients get little or no relief. Give them and Asprin or Motrin and WOW the pain is gone or signficantly reduced.
Inflamation needs an anti-inflamatory for best results.

(advise given from an ER/ICU nurse perspective)

Thank you, Elaine(zoo mom) for this informative reminder. Dealing w/pain constantly (daily Ultram user) I had forgotten that there is more than 1 type, or cause, of pain & discomfort. Your example of pleurisy is spot-on. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Just reading this thread about Heartly.. sorry I missed it.. I'm glad he's doing better and I'm going to keep both of you in my prayers! Thank you for that great advice Elaine!! I didn't know that stuff either..

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
awwh I am glad that the *big* guys is doing better :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.