• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I feed her broccoli every day?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
My birdie is pretty new to her cage and home so she's being a bit picky... I've been trying to give her various things but she doesn't really touch fruits or vegetables other than broccoli and romaine lettuce right now. She does like her seed/pellet mix now though, and of course... millet. Is it okay to give broccoli and romaine lettuce to her every day? I heard that for some stuff, like spinach, you shouldn't feed it to them every day so that's why I'm wondering...

Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep, that's fine! Just keep offering other stuff alongside it :)

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Alright thanks! I put some cauliflower in her bowl but she's ignoring it. I tried to handfeed her a banana and she like....ran away from it. xD; And it's not that she runs away from my hand because when it's just my hand she approaches. o_O

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Try some carrots, sweet potato, sweet peppers (my crazy birds love these)!

What kind of bird?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya! My guy is only picky based on this...

If Mom sticks it in her mouth & it poofs (& I MUST be watching you)... Then I'll eat it (but only if Mom doesn't drop from the poison I think is in it.
:exactly: Buddy. :mrha:

I try to offer & least 1 piece of fruit & 1 veggie for dinner. So 2night was a grape & a yellow wax bean. I have him his pieces of bean 1st then the grape. He always eats the grape. Just like a piece of apple (always poofs to birdy tummy)

:gbh: Rain

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Have you tried a chopped blend?

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I tried to handfeed her a banana and she like....ran away from it. xD
My little GCC who will eat almost everything is terrified of bananas. Must be a little bird thing! Even cut up...s/he is just like, "Nope." :eeeek:

I'm sure you know this already, but make sure your romaine is well washed (I use apple cider vinegar and water to clean all my fruit/veggies). And don't be surprised if you get some really wet poo from the lettuce!

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Have you tried a chopped blend?
I chopped up some broccoli in her seed mix to try to make her eat more of her seeds but didn't try chopping up veggies together since she mostly like veggies. xD; Just that... I can't get her to eat any fruit. I feel chopping fruits into veggies would be a bit weird. x.x

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'd be wary about feeding broccoli everyday because it's known to cause goiter in birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya!

My little GCC who will eat almost everything is terrified of bananas. Must be a little bird thing! Even cut up...s/he is just like, "Nope." :eeeek:

I'm sure you know this already, but make sure your romaine is well washed (I use apple cider vinegar and water to clean all my fruit/veggies). And don't be surprised if you get some really wet poo from the lettuce!
Wet Poo = Cucmbers too!

I'd be wary about feeding broccoli everyday because it's known to cause goiter in birds.
Thanks for this info! I didn't know!!!

Separate note...

I have done tons of reading on nutrition & nutrition on birds... The thing that every place seems to agree on is wide range of veggies & fruits. There is nutritional value that is different for each thing. Focus on high Vitamin A items like carrots & sweet potato' s & yams, orange squash like acorn & yellow squash like spaghetti for any Amazon.

Chops are a great idea!

Per Dr. Axe's website (about human that can apply to birdy food. I always use this when shopping for groceries.

"When it comes to plant foods with vitamin A, a good rule of thumb is that fruits and veggies that are orange, yellow or red have a high likelihood of providing vitamin A."

Does you did like spaghetti/pasta maybe mixing diff. things in w/ a little sauce would help!

:gbh: Rain

Last edited by a moderator: