• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can I add 1 budgie to my pair

should I get 1 or 2 budgies to add to my pair?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I was wondering can I add another budgie to my male and female pair. My pair is new they have been with me since March 11th, but they are 1 years old, they use to be with more budgies before I got them. Or would it be best to add 2 more instead of one? If I get 2 should I go with 2 males or 1 female and one male? Should I try for more 1 year olds or could I get babies this time? Any help would be great, thanks.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I have two males and a female who get along without major issue and are all bonded in some way.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Serin how long have you had them? It is very unusual for 3 birds to be bonded and get along. I would not want to mislead @tish into thinking that 3 birds in one cage will get along well with eachother over time. There is a reason nature chooses to do this.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Like others here have said, I'd go with the 2, to make a total group of 4, and for the same reason others have mentioned.

Make sure you have a big enough cage for a flock of 4.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I agree. One will always be left out, so it's best to keep them in pairs.

I would recommend two males, that way you won't have to worry about them accidentally breeding.
If they plan on putting them all in one cage the males will fight over the only hen I think another pair would be better

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I have a flight cage, I think it's big enough for 4 budgie. I have 6 society finches in the same flight cage size.

Serin

@Serin how long have you had them? It is very unusual for 3 birds to be bonded and get along. I would not want to mislead @tish into thinking that 3 birds in one cage will get along well with eachother over time. There is a reason nature chooses to do this.
Sam is three, Summer is one, and Snoopy is six months.
Nobody is excluded, Summer and Sam are pair-bonded but Snoopy also feeds Summer. Snoopy adores Sam, and Sam is pleasant to Snoopy.

They are not my first happy trio, either! But it depends on the birds, and if they are raised together or not.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Not usually true, males bond to males as much as to females, but females in a cage together are prone to fight.

Thats not true either my hens live in a cage together never had them fight

Same. I have my males and females separated so there's no unwanted breeding, and have never had any problems with my females fighting.

That's not to say that it will never happen, since each bird has their own personality and my be a bit cranky.... All you can do is make the best decision for yourself and your flock, and then keep a close eye on everyone to make sure that no issues arise.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have a flight cage, I think it's big enough for 4 budgie. I have 6 society finches in the same flight cage size.
It's not big enough for all those birds. One cage is one territory. Bonded pairs do not "share" territory. There will be trouble. If you want more birds you need more environment and more cages.

Serin

No no no, I am saying multiple females with males present, not all female cages.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would not go out and get any amount of budgie and add them to an existing flock. You could potentially be asking for trouble if you don't have a separate cage set up for the new birds. I mean, think about it this way... you're living in a home with family, friends, roommates, whatever. You all get along. One day, another person(s) shows up. No one invited them, they just were there. Maybe everyone will get along? Maybe they wont?

This not even going into the quarantine recommendations for new birds to ensure they're healthy...

I have kept odd numbers of budgies together before... even ended up with more females than males.... and somehow, they still got along. Just because mine did doesn't mean that someone else's birds will as well. It's better to have more males than females, since females can be real pain in the butts.