• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can finches eat isopods?

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
I have been raising isopods aka pillbugs, sowbugs, rollie-pollies for fish food and I was wondering if my finches (java and zebras), and budgerigars for that matter would also enjoy eating them as a snack? The specific kind I have is Porcellio Laevis, aka "Dairy Cow Isopods".

Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have no idea to be honest. The finches might but the budgies are probably less inclined.

@finchly ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have been raising isopods aka pillbugs, sowbugs, rollie-pollies for fish food and I was wondering if my finches (java and zebras), and budgerigars for that matter would also enjoy eating them as a snack? The specific kind I have is Porcellio Laevis, aka "Dairy Cow Isopods".

Thank you!
Can you share a pic of each if these things you raise for fish? Rollie Pollies- are they slater bugs or woodlouse?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you share a pic of each if these things you raise for fish? Rollie Pollies- are they slater bugs or woodlouse?
I think theyre woodlouse

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
I don't have a good pic but here's the site where I got them from that has good pics.

I think they can also be called a woodlouse or a "cheese bob" as my English friend called them

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don't have a good pic but here's the site where I got them from that has good pics.

I think they can also be called a woodlouse or a "cheese bob" as my English friend called them
Butchy boys or slater bugs they’re usually known as here in Aus.

What type of fish and how do you feed them to your fish?
We have a heap of them in some spots in our yard- my fish love the wriggly mozzie larvae that I deliberately leave water out for and also these other wriggly swimmer bugs that appear in the still water that look like blood worms- could be them but I’m not sure.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
I have guppies, betta and endlers, I dump the very small babies in there and they go crazy eating them.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have guppies, betta and endlers, I dump the very small babies in there and they go crazy eating them.
I’m gonna go catch some later on and see if my goldfish like them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't see any reason not to use them. I've heard of fruit fly larvae, termite larvae, and mealworms for finch food. I just wonder if they'll eat them. Curious! You'll have to let us know.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
@finchly ok I'll give it a shot and see if they like them! I read people sometimes cook and eat them and they taste similar to crab, I'm not going to try that though.

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
I can’t speak for zebras but I know Javas are omnivorous and my own Java finch likes crunchy foods more than soft so it’s worth a shot to try giving them bugs!

I’ve seen some people give meal worms to a breeding pair and it’s often suggested here in Japan to give your Java tiny dried (unsalted ofc) fish to chew on so they can get their calcium and animal protein.