• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can extra sleep make a bird cranky?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu got 12 1/2 hours of sleep last night, due to me sleeping in a little today, where as he usually sleeps anywhere between 10-11 hours.

I thought I'd wake up to a really sweet ball of fluff but he's actually being more rotten than I've ever seen him be. He's sooo angry and flying at me to attack.

I thought he'd calm down after a bit but he was angry all morning. I left him in his room for the day and am hoping he'll be calmer when I return later.

I can't figure out any other reason for his rage other than us sleeping in today. Is that possible? Do some birds just not do well with extra sleep? Is he holding a grudge or something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Might just be mad that his schedule changed :p

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
But he's not mad at me if I wake him up earlier sometimes? Do you think he's mad he might have missed out on his day or something?

I don't know. Maybe something in the air because Jingo has been a brat all day. Bit my neck badly because I wouldn't share my coffee and then dumped his food and water in defiance

Elrav

Meeting neighbors
My conure gets mad at me too if I don't take him out in time. Occasionally, he reminds me that he is more important than my sleep with a little nip

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yea. You were late. The alarm clock goes off the same time everyday. If this was a job you'd have lost pay. :D

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Have to admit it's true! They have an internal clock and know when your late! Not happy about it either! :blahblah:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds are creatures of routines. Looks like you bird got out of sorts by getting up later than usual. Guess they don't understand it when you say "deal with it"

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks everyone!

I haven't had a good rest in almost a year now so I was planning on darkening the windows in Blu's room more soon, so that I could get an extra hour here and there sometimes. But I guess that's off the table now? I didn't realize he'd be so angry about not getting up at a certain time.

Atleast I'm finally forgiven for this morning, thankfully.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks everyone!

I haven't had a good rest in almost a year now so I was planning on darkening the windows in Blu's room more soon, so that I could get an extra hour here and there sometimes. But I guess that's off the table now? I didn't realize he'd be so angry about not getting up at a certain time.

Atleast I'm finally forgiven for this morning, thankfully.

We call it stealing a nap. I do it regularly. Haven't slept in for more than a decade.

You could go to bed a little earlier?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My birds are used to a non schedule. No two days are the same... sometimes up at 4am, sometimes 9am. They are used to the organized chaos so they don't fret when something is off... because its not off lol. Only real constant is bedtime, because they tell ME when they are ready and boy, I better listen!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We call it stealing a nap. I do it regularly. Haven't slept in for more than a decade.

You could always close the door and pretend your lot weren't there for a bit! :smuggrin:

See what happens!
Let me know, if you're still alive to testify or not permanently maimed! :rofl:

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Haven't slept in for more than a decade.
:lol:

I don't know if that'd be possible because I need to make sure he has enough time to finish eating dinner , since I get home from work pretty late sometimes. Plus...he expects ATLEAST an hour straight of scritches most nights.

As it is, he already gets angry every night about bed time and tries to fly away so he could stay up all night. It's like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum about going to bed every single night. But ofcourse, the minute he roosts I hear beak grinding and he's fast asleep in 5-10 minutes. :rolleyes:

He'd probably be royally ticked off if I pushed his bed time even sooner:extremeanger:

I think I'm doomed to atleast 25 more years of sleep deprivation :sleepsign:

My birds are used to a non schedule. No two days are the same... sometimes up at 4am, sometimes 9am. They are used to the organized chaos so they don't fret when something is off... because its not off lol. Only real constant is bedtime, because they tell ME when they are ready and boy, I better listen!
Weird how some birds want to go to bed and others hate to go to bed.

I wish I could tweek things a little more but with my work schedule, it's hard to deviate too much from our routine. He is ok with things being in a 2-3 hour window, so it's not all exactly at a certain time, but I guess waking up later is not something that can be tweeked. :aarules:

You could always close the door and pretend your lot weren't there for a bit! :smuggrin:

See what happens!
Let me know, if you're still alive to testify or not permanently maimed! :rofl:
:rofl:

Before I came back home today, after the wrath I endured this morning, I was thinking that I wish I had a suit of armor I could wear in times like these :hilarious:

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Mine have no problems with different times, work day I get up at 6:00am, non work day I get up maybe if I am a good girl at 9:00am, no issues with the time with the babes they are moreso happy to see me uncover them and know breakfast will be soon.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Mine have no problems with different times, work day I get up at 6:00am, non work day I get up maybe if I am a good girl at 9:00am, no issues with the time with the babes they are moreso happy to see me uncover them and know breakfast will be soon.
Luuucky!

My old bird was cool with any thing. He was so easy compared to Blu :cautious:

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
aw, try not to compare, there will be a good reason for his behaviour, its just he cant tell you what it is

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
and quite often its the more difficult ones that can teach us the most