1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can cockatiels hurt themselves by falling?

Discussion in 'Cockatiel Corner' started by Jeevanth, 4/8/19.

1. Jeevanth

Jeevanth Meeting neighbors

Jeevanth
    Hi! I've had a 1 year old wild male cockatiel for 4 months now, he's partially tamed now. He sometimes lets me pet him when he feels like it and he gets on my hand whenever the other cockatiel is on me. He's still scared of my hands but it seems he feels safe if my other tamed cockatiel is around. So I recently took him to get his wings clipped and the guy in there did a pretty terrible job of it. He left the first three long feathers and trimmed the rest. So my tiel can still fly now but he couldn't control his speed it seems. He couldn't land anywhere and fell down from like 3 - 4 feet. It looked like a pretty hard landing and didn't seem like he was gliding at all. He was shocked after it and I grabbed him and let him inside his cage. He was shocked for like an hour hissing even if i go near the cage and it went back to normal.
    So my question is,
    Could he have hurt himself from falling from that height?
    And, What height is generally safe for birds to be falling from?
    Do share your experiences..

2. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Tricia
    Yes! From that height their little bones can snap like twigs!!!

hrafn likes this.
  3. Zara

Zara Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    I don´t understand why you disabled him when you were making good progress in your relationship...

Birds falling (from any height) or flying into things is incredibly dangerous for them. You must be there to offer a perch to land on, your arm, a stick, anything. Be still, don´t chase.

I´m not surprised the bird was hissing at you. He will be very frustrated, you took away his right of flight, and now he is adjusting to his sub par wings.

4. Jeevanth

Jeevanth Meeting neighbors

Jeevanth
    He wasn't flying that high when I got him. But now his wings have grown it seems and ceiling fans are a hazard in here. The pet shop owner said it was better to clip his wings to avoid any accidents. Anyway, he's back to normal now and I guess i shouldn't carry him on my shoulders or anything coz if he tried to fly from there he'll probably hurt himself. I don't know how people who clipped their bird's wings manage it if jumping from any height is a problem :huh:

5. RedFoxBlackSox

RedFoxBlackSox Walking the driveway

I was also told that clipped wings helped avoid injury which is why I opted for the shelter to do it for me before I took them home. BIG MISTAKE :( for one of my birds, Peaches, it CAUSES injury. If he happens to startle or if he miscalculates, he lands wrong and wounds himself. If he happens to fall from a perch (which happened once) he can flap a bit but there’s a huge THUNK when he hits the bottom. I wish every day I would have researched more before I got them so this doesn’t happen- and I’m just anxious for when the flight feathers will finally grow in and this will stop.

In future you’re probably better off just making sure they’re not in rooms with operating ceiling fans instead of altering the bird.

AmyJas and tka like this.
  6. Zara

Zara Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    :angry101: If you see him again, tell him he gave you rubbish advice.

Ceiling fans are fine as long as they remain switched off... I have a feeling you have another thread about that so I won´t go into it again.

Try to avoid walking around with the bird on your shoulders, but it would be ok for him to be there with you if you are sat on a chair or something like that.

I´m sorry, I don´t have any tips or advice on living with a clipped bird.
    @RedFoxBlackSox is there any advice you can offer? Adaptions to help the bird not get hurt etc

tka likes this.
  7. RedFoxBlackSox

RedFoxBlackSox Walking the driveway

I guess the bird will probably figure out soon that they can’t rely on their wings; but unfortunately there are circumstances where (especially since yours was flighted before) where they will try to fly - I agree that you should avoid situations where they can hurt themselves, like having them on your shoulder on a second floor where they could fall all the way to the bottom. Try to keep loud noises and sudden entrances to a minimum, although some frights can’t be avoided (like a loud car or a crow outside).

Unfortunately they won’t be able to get everywhere they want to go without some assistance, so if you want to pick up some ladders or other climbing toys so they can have entertainment outside of the cage as well.

8. Ripshod

Ripshod Jogging around the block

Linden
    The short version: I had to clean up Tau's flights the day I got him cos every single one was mutilated/broken and were a danger.
    A lot of people are against birds playing on the floor but that's where I played with Tau, he was never unsupervised. He soon learned he couldn't fly by skating round the floor every time he tried. A lot better than learning by launching from the top of a cage.

Zara and RedFoxBlackSox like this.
  9. AmyJas

AmyJas Meeting neighbors

Amy
    I believe this is how my cockatiel Lilo scratched her eye. She is a very clumsy baby with no balance, and the fact that the bird store gave her a fresh clip before they sent her home with me probably made it much worse. I've had new budgies that were clipped and didn't really have problems, so I think they must be a little more agile. Next bird I purchase however I'm going to request against it.

Ripshod and RedFoxBlackSox like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)