• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can canaries and finches be tame?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Gosh, Beatriz,
I'm very sad if you're saying that my Pee wee died because of me. He loved life, and he loved me, and he sure didn't act like he was stressed. But he did die of a heart attack.
If what you're saying is true, I hate myself and I am in tears now. I am sorry, Peewee, if taming you shortened your life. :sad3:
Monica,

No!! I am sure that you did not kill Pee Wee. And, I am sure he did not die from a heart attack after living with you, freely for all that time. A lot of people have finches and canaries and have tamed them. The fact that one person thinks you shouldn't does not make it a fact, it makes it an opinion. Please don't cry. It sounds to me like you gave Pee Wee a wonderful life and your finch in Japan too. You did not kill Pee Wee.:hug8:

oddbird

Walking the driveway
MANY years ago i had a tame canary,he was yellow,his name was Reuben...he was wild when i got him,i didnt try to train him...i just took care of him every day..i let him fly fee and i put a shallow dish full of water on the coffee table w/ towel undeneath it for him to bathe in...he sang his heart out...he went back to his cage when he wanted to eat ...and to sleep at night...in the day he just stayed out ,he eventually started landing on my shoulder ...and landing on my kids ,etc...he was a real gem...but then i got more canaries and he reverted back to his wild state...

I think Java Rice Finches are also tameable....I also think the two keys are getting the bird when its young (hand fed would be a real plus) & also having an only bird....i know birds like eachothers company...im just saying if you want a tame bird its my opinion that the best way to do that is have a single bird.

Doves are also a tamable gentle bird ,(again the younger the better)but they have a powder (like Cockatoos ,Cockatiels, & african Grey Parrots ),that some people are highly allergic to ....

Hope this helps & good Luck finding a birds you love...i say go for a canary ...do research before you buy or adopt a bird,youll be happy you did...i also went and spent alot of time at local pet stores and just listened to and observed the birds...after many of these visits & much research...i went with canaries:)

in general i think finches are much more flighty than canaries..canaries have been in captivity for hundreads of years and so the are accustomed to being around people .....

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
I lost my first canary to the dog trying this out. :( My Border Collie brought my canary to me while I was on the phone in the other room. The canary's cage drawer was out, because I was cleaning it. He had no fear of being out of the cage, & my BC was quick to investigate the flapping around. I recommend no other pets being around if you try it! Not just you supervising, but either in their crates or outside! :ycanary:

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Any animal can be tamed but most are better off on their own and finches and canaries fall under that category. My canaries are loose in the birdroom and my finches are caged (they are way too small and weak fliers due to their previous life) and they are not spooked by me but I would never consider teaching them to step up or anything like that, it's too stressful for them and stress kills little birds very easily. Robirda, a lady who breeds canaries and knows a lot about them, tells about this bird she had sold who died at only two years of age from stress due to his owner trying to tame him.

You're falling for a line.......your friend the breeder probably doesn't even know the language--I decoded red factor canary in about two months, and it appears to carry over to wild fiches.......my red factor canary played video games and had separation from his line of sight upon not seeing his humans as his only stressor other than the spoken word "canary" .

well,that and he hated the vet's,but what bird doesn't?

Anyway,your friend's a willfully uneducated person,and that's their choice....my 150 genius IQ vs their cruelty using you as their proxy any day of the week.

Akijoy San,PM me,and I'll teach you the red factor canary's language.My Japanese is far from perfect,so I'll have to teach you in English, but I promise my info is good.If you need me too,I can read Japanese.....It's other aspects of Japanese I struggle with.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We rescued a baby female house finch from a crow on our roof one summer and she survived us hand feeding her and bonded to us. We called her Beeper and she would sit on my hat, my shoulder, my mouse hand, then fall asleep while I surfed. She also started singing, would jump into any bowel of water offered, and ate and drank anything we were having beside her own food.
She was a great little hyperactive soul and could fly like a bullet.
Nerd bird grew to hate her so we had to keep them apart and she got a extra year and a half she wouldn't have if that crow had had her for dinner as he was planning. So yes they will bond when you when young and then decide you are their world for the rest of their lives.
I really wanted to get another finch but decided Nerd Bird was pretty bummed not getting as much attention so we stuck to just him and he became a happy single bird in our flock again.

Nioa

Moving in
I lost my first canary to the dog trying this out. :( My Border Collie brought my canary to me while I was on the phone in the other room. The canary's cage drawer was out, because I was cleaning it. He had no fear of being out of the cage, & my BC was quick to investigate the flapping around. I recommend no other pets being around if you try it! Not just you supervising, but either in their crates or outside! :ycanary:
I just got some zebra finches and the first thing that happened when I got them home is my cat knocking their cage over. Poor things were terrified and I've learned to keep my door closed from now on.