• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Bulk Bird Food Make Your Bird Sick?

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
My birds have bulk seeds, pellets and millet spray, have for years, no problems. They do not use pesticide, so it's possible to get seed moths, but when I occasionally get seed from walmart it has happened too. I put the seeds in the freezer fo a day, it will kill any eggs. My birds do get pasta, rice, veggies too. I think seeds without pesticide has to be safer for them.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
For all the reasons in the article, my AV advised against using bulk foods from the get go, so I have never ever used them. I don't think it's worth the risk. I'd rather by food packaged and with use-by dates.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are so many unknowns about buying bulk anything. If the bins are small then the turnover may be fast. However when one buys bulk on line then you just don't know. I admit I have in the past bought Roudybush from MSBS that was re packaged. One of my budgies got yeast in crop. Could have come from most any place. I am currently eliminating possible sources. After reading this article I will not buy bird food from a re packaged bulk source.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When there were some recalls going around (Kaytee, mostly) I realized that by buying in bulk I had no idea if the food I had was part of the recall. Now I only buy manufacturer sealed and stamped food, and clip the date and lot number off the bag and keep them on the side of the fridge in case I need to reference them.

ETA: You can still buy manufacturer sealed bulk bags. Many sell in 10-25 lb bags with few exceptions. I buy Zupreem once a year in one giant bag and freeze it in 1 lb portions.

Last edited:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
ETA: You can still buy manufacturer sealed bulk bags. Many sell in 10-25 lb bags with few exceptions. I buy Zupreem once a year in one giant bag and freeze it in 1 lb portions.
I buy in bulk that way too. It's repackaged or from loose seed / pellet bins that I won't buy. It has to be in a sealed package from the original manufacturer, with use-by date ect before I'll buy.