• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can budgies and cockatiels eat the same seed mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set

Walking the driveway
Currently I get two seed mixes; one for the 'tiels, one for the budgies. It seems the only difference in them is the sunflower seeds in the cockatiel mix. I know that sunflower seeds aren't all that healthy and can be fattening, and I've noticed that Cadaver is pretty much eating all of them. He doesn't give Henry the chance to have any, and Henry doesn't seem too fond of them anyway. But he goes straight for the sunflower seeds and nothing else. Little pig.

So I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to get a budgie seed mix for them both, and get sunflower seeds as a special treat? Are there different nutritional needs that aren't going to be covered if I do that? Their main diet is pellets, of which they do get the same type - right now it's ZuPreem fruit blends (the colored one; I wanted to get the non-colored one today but they didn't have any and I needed pellets). I'm trying to the one that has smaller pellets to see if they like them. I always though the big ones just looked a bit too big for the budgies to comfortable munch on.

They also get millet and veggies when we have them. So seeds are a fairly small part of their diet. But I don't want to deprive the 'tiels of anything that the seeds have that they need.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Yes, you can feed both your budgies and cockatiels on a budgie seed mix. My aviary birds (budgies, tiels, bourkes and princess parrots) all eat budgie seed supplemented with fresh vegies and they are all very healthy. You are correct in saying that sunflower seeds are fattening and should be fed in moderation, i like to save them for use as training rewards! :D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Since it is only a small part of their diet, it will be okay. :) And yes, sunflower seeds are good to keep aside as a treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.