• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Can birds get ringworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraLovesMerlin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Laura
I have ringworm and think I may have gotten it from my bird. He isnt sick or showing any signs of losing feathers, itching or anything. I need to make sure thoease ..ugh. I called a lot of vets and they didnt know, finally one vest said no whereas articles on the internet say yes. I am worried that he could get sick and need to know if he is causing me this because no matter how many times I wash my sheets and put my medicine on, its getting worse.. :( :( :( Its so messed up. Could it be because his cage isnt getting cleaned good enough.... that I every once in a while allow him to drink from the same cup or let him lay in my bed and play on it? :( could really use some advice!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Ring worm is a fungal infection. It is not killed by regular laundrying. Wash all clothing and sheets that you have even possibly come in contact with(since having ringworm) with white vinegar or bleach in the water. This kills the ringworm spores. Continue to use vinegar or bleach in all laundry loads until the ringworm is completely gone. As far as if birds can carry it I don't know. When we had a problem it was before having birds. In was brought in our house by a kitten we had adopted which didn't show symptoms until after bringing him home.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Check with a board certified Avian Vet. It is possible that a bird may carry spores on their feather with out showing signs of having ringworm. I know our kitty vet reccommended Iodine shampoo because it kills the spores on fur and skin. Not sure if it is safe to usr for birds.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think ringworm is most often associated with mammals. Do you have a cat, or do you work in your garden? Sometimes it is found in soil.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I think ringworm is most often associated with mammals. Do you have a cat, or do you work in your garden? Sometimes it is found in soil.
True. And because it is a fungus it's spores can live for a long time dormant on inanimate objects. I forgot to mention that in my previous posts. We also had to wash all the cat bedding and spray down fabric furniture with a Lysol spray until damp and clean hard surfaces with either vinegar/water or bleach/water depending on surface type and use. This includes showers and tubs as well. By the time we got it irradicated 6 of the 9 cats we had at the time got it. Each of them had to be bathed twice a week with iodine shampoo and those with ring room spots have a typical ointment applied twice a day. Both my husband and I got it as well. I had to take 15 Loads of laundry to the laundry mat initially and wash every thing we or our cats had possibly come in contact with in vinegar and water. We battled it and had many reoccurant episodes over 3 months inspite of medications and pet baths. It was not until using white vinegar or bleach in all laundry, using bleach water to spray down the tub and shower after each shower and spraying down all furniture surfaces with Lysol every 2-3 days and wiping down hard surfaces with vinegar or bleach water that we were able to beat it. It took another 2 months to clear all of us of the ringworm and be sure no one else got any new spots.

Good luck I would not wish this on anyone.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
The research I have done says it is possible but not probable, so most likely you got it somewhere else. You can catch it from another person...have you been in close contact (has to be touching) with anyone? My best friend got it from her boyfriend, so that is how I know lol.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
You can also get it from something that has come in contact with a person ov animal that has it. We got it from a cat. My vets daughter got it from a halter that had been on an infected cow. She had been working at the 4h barn and someone threw the halter at her and it hit her in the face and she ended up getting ringworm on her face from it. Also ringworm or a person or furred animal flouresces under black light not sure if it would on a parrot.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, I am most likely thinking you got it from a dog, cat, horse or teen that plays contact sports like football or wrestling.

Do you know for sure it's ringworm? I thought I had it once, too and mine kept getting bigger and worse as well. It wasn't ringworm; it was the bullseye rash from a tick infected with Lyme. If you haven't seen a doctor please do so. I didn't and it took more than a decade to get a diagnosis. Now I have chronic Lyme.

Status
Not open for further replies.