• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can birds get fleas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
is it possible for birds to get fleas? my downstairs neighbor lets his cat go outside and i'm always paranoid that his cat might have fleas and that fleas will take over and somehow end up in my apt. i'm afraid my rabbit would then get it and then pass it onto the birds. i know, i'm paranoid!!!!!!

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
It is highly unlikely for fleas to infest a bird. Yes, you're being a bit paranoid ;) lol.

Keep an eye out for them on your rabbit and keep it collared or flea rinsed :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have never heard of a bird with fleas.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can the rabbit wear anything like advantage in a tiny amount? I wouldn't wash with any type of flea shampoo/rinse. The fleas just go into the ears/openings, then are happy after the bath to reinfest the clean animal. I was always told not to wash my dog with flea stuff by my vet, for this reason. A dusting of borax in your home can kill fleas, or here is a natural method~
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1987-07-01/Natural-Flea-Control.aspx

Last edited:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I don't know about parrots and small birds, but pigeons and seagulls are the #1 carrier of fleas. From my understanding, the fleas don't bite the birds, they jump on and get carried around on them. I am constantly after my mother as she insists on having a bird feeder attached to their back patio, doesn't shoo the pigeons and doves away, and lets their dog out onto the patio to do its business. I'm always paranoid about bringing fleas home to my furred kids. Neither cat or dog has ever had fleas.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am constantly after my mother as she insists on having a bird feeder attached to their back patio, doesn't shoo the pigeons and doves away, and lets their dog out onto the patio to do its business. I'm always paranoid about bringing fleas home to my furred kids. Neither cat or dog has ever had fleas.
Does she us Advantage or some deterrent? I just started using Comfortis for my dog instead of Advantage. We have a bigger flea problem here than anywhere I know. Everyone I have spoken to gives this rave reviews. It is said to act as a vacuum, killing any fleas that dare get on your dog. Plus I like the fact that I no longer have to worry about petting my dog and getting the Advantage on myself, then touching the birds. {not that you wouldn't be washing your hands, but to me still comforting to know this is no longer a possibility}

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are bird fleas but they are mostly seen in the birds nest and not actually on the birds.

Mites are similar to fleas and birds do get those.

Bird Fleas

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
No...fleas can not reside on a birds body because the body temp. is too warm for them. The only time fleas will get on a bird is it it is sick and it's body temperatures go down.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
What Fresh Hell is this??? This reminds me of the first time I read about the reemergence of bedbugs, and the nexus was said to be NYC & Kalamazoo, MI--& my son had just started college in Kalamazoo. Please keep us updated (we got lucky & never got bedbugs!):rolleyes:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Oh no, April!!! Philadelphia has a TERRIBLE epidemic of bedbugs, it's among the worst places in the city for them! I absolutely refuse to buy mattresses from strangers because of it (and it just cost me $1300 for a new bed as a result). Yuck!

Bookworm -- I know one of our other members mentioned that she found fleas on her cockatoo, Moby. But it may have been because he is sick or because she had just bathed him and his core temp dropped. It definitely seems like a bird's core temperature is too high to tolerate fleas, plus a flea would likely kill a small bird very quickly because they have so little blood. I don't think, GENERALLY, fleas will choose a bird as a host. But I could be wrong. Either way, you will know if there are fleas in your house, BELIEVE ME. They bite you. A lot. I quit a job working at a day care once because one of the poor little kid's mom's house was infested and he was bringing them to the daycamp, where they got in the rug and bit the heck out of all of us. You could actually see them jumping onto you. But with a bunny I would be cautious. Maybe your exotics vet could advise on something like Advantix, as was mentioned, for small animals? I definitely wouldn't go with a dog or cat dose as that could really hurt your furbaby. Borax is no good either, especially if you let the rabbit out on your floor. I wouldn't dust or spray for bugs around your birds or rabbit either. In other words, don't take any serious action unless you are SURE you have an infestation, since the action you might take could do harm to your animals, even kill them. If you do ever have an infestation you'd probably have to move the fids and furbs to another house for a while to have the apartment sprayed/dusted/fumigated.

:hug8:

As the very wise Douglas Adams once said, "DON'T PANIC!"

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
I just took in a stray cat.....with fleas...so right now it's quarantined in another apartment. I took her to the vet today for shots, and I got Advantage for the fleas...
My current cat has caught some fleas from Cat 2 so she is on Advantage too.

Now, from what I've read, birds usually don't get bitten by fleas or carry them due to their body temp being too high. I hope this info is right! My fid seems fine but it is always great to get reassurance.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Good question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.