• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a new bird impact the existing bird?

JadynA

Moving in
Hi everyone. Hoping for help.
Some back story, sorry if this is too much information, but I'm at a loss and I feel like the backstory is necessary.

So, in my household there are 2 cockatiels, one about 5 yrs old and is my mom's (Beacan) and a confirmed female. And the other is mine who is almost 6 months (Nymbus). For a few months prior to my newest baby, whom we've had almost 2 months, we had housed a cockatiel of unknown age and gender (Signal), who later passed from cardiac arrest.

Somewhere in the timeframe between the change of Signal and Nymbus, Beacan had started roughing up and creating bald spots on her tail feathers, and causing them to be loose, and dangling but refusing to pull them out, just letting them flop. Beacan then started to pluck just the feathers around her neck, under her beak. From what I can tell (she's not very fond of me, so she wont let me see properly) she hasn't plucked under her wings or much if any of her back. She has two of her own cages as she always has, a daytime and a night time and we have always been careful not to impose the new birds into her territory, they have thier own cage and its separate although near hers.

When we had Signal, they were a very cautious bird, so an unhealthy previous home was suspected, though they adjusted quiet well, and filled out with builtiful new feathers shortly after we got them. With Signal whom we suspected was female, they mainly coexisted and Beacan was the more talkative and clearly dominant one.
Now with Nym, Beacan is often quiet, and we suspect Nym is male. She still occasionally chirps and calls, though it's harder to tell now, because Nym has learned some of her calls and mimics her. She has been particularly quieter in the last couple of weeks.

When we first got Nymbus, I had waited until after Beacan had finished her summer clutch, so that I didnt overwhelm the baby bird, because some of Beacan's behaviors and screeches while laying can be quiet loud and concerning, she is also quite grumpy and requires attention. However, as soon as we got Nymbus, Beacan was unusually interested and would climb on his cage and call him and make her "sexy noises" at him and suddenly she laid an additional egg totally out of her time. She didn't pay it any notice and we knew it wasnt fertilized (his age and they hadn't interacted yet) so a few weeks afterwards we got rid of it. He sings and chirps almost constantly and I'm not sure how she feels about him anymore, because since the egg, she seems to only tolerate his existence and if they are both out near eachother she will hiss or fly off.

I haven't witnessed any of her chest plucking, just her tail a little bit, so I suspect she does it when no one is home, during the day. It's quite apparent that it's not molting as we had first hoped, but she still has the bald spots so it can't be. There doesnt appear to be any sores or injured skin, so I'm not suspecting an illness, I suspect stress or anxiety. But I'm not certain how to address this issue since I'm not her person, and introducing anything new to her has proven a challenge in the past. I do know she hadn't had a thorough wet shower since my new bird, since that was normally something she had done with me, with my mom she only ever liked a misting, and she hadn't been showering with me, so I did let her come with me yesterday.

I've gotten some new shredding toys that I've been trying to show her. But she even seems more skittish in general, normally if I were to even set out an abandoned Kleenex she'd go nuts for it and try to take it or rip it, even from me, especially if it was a strip of one. But yesterday, I laid out a whole bunch of stripped up and ripped and whole Kleenexes and she was spooked, wouldn't go near them. She also loves most/all foods or at the very least NEEDS to try some of everything, and goes nuts for millet, but it took a lot of coaxing and she was spooked of it on the branch. Then, once she finally came over to it, it was like she was eating it as quickly as she could, instead of just picking the bits of it off and nibbling.

The only other thing to note is that my mom let's my bird out too a lot of times when she's letting out her own, so maybe jealousy? Oh, and my bird is almost constantly out of his cage, except when I'm not home, she is out of her cage a lot, but has to be put away if anyone is eating or cooking because she swoops and lands on food and such, mine only needs to be put away if we all are eating.

Anyway, sorry for the excessive information and really long post, but I'm concerned and run out of ideas. And I'm not even sure if I'm treating this right, or if me and my bird could be making things worse. Any ideas or help is appreciated, thank you.

Hoping to help Beacan.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think the more information the better. It really helps frame your situation.

I know you believe the feather loss is from stress, but have you consulted a vet. It will help to confirm it isn't anything physical. If something is bothering her she could be frustrated and irritable.

Bird Mites | Beauty of Birds

There will always be adjustment periods when new birds meet. If you lost Signal recently then some close friends of Signal will need time to mourn.

JadynA

Moving in
We only had Signal a few months, but it is possible they were enjoying each other's company more than we thought. And she's never been to the vet, but I'll see if my mom wants to try getting her checked, Beacon isn't mine, so I can't make that call. And thanks for the article, I'd read up a bit on mites, but kind of thought I'd notice them on my bird too if they were present.

I'll see about talking to a vet, thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m thinking a vet visit also.

I’m curious if her change in behaviour (being afraid of things she used to love) is due to sight issues as opposed to changes in the household.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi @JadynA - Since I've not had Cockatiels, I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say a big :welcome2::howdy:

JadynA

Moving in
Hey, everyone! Good news!
I am happy to say, that Beacan is well on her way to recovery! Almost all of her plucking spots are showing very promising new feathers!
Thanks to everyone for thier help and insight!

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@JadynA Cockatiels are very clingy birds, so it is likely Beacan did enjoy Signal's existence even if she didn't enough him/her in general.
Frost, my female cockatiel, does not like my male Zephaniah at the moment but if he leaves she will call for him to come back. She enjoys the knowledge of having a familiar bird in close proximity even if does not like him personally. It is also possible Beacan did not pluck her feathers, where does she have her nest? On the floor in a corner of her cage? If so that means she may have broken them while pressed up against the corner of her cage. Have you seen the plucked tail feathers? Are they bloody and whole or snapped?

JadynA

Moving in
They were all roughed up in the middle and ends, and the tail feathers we have seen her do. Our main concerns were about around her neck, and we later noticed under her wings too. And no blood or bloody feathers were found or seen. And she doesn't really seem to nest. Even when she lays eggs she just kinda does it from her perch, so my mom (her person) collects them together for her, and that's where she sits on them. Other than that she roosts on one of her perches.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
They were all roughed up in the middle and ends, and the tail feathers we have seen her do. Our main concerns were about around her neck, and we later noticed under her wings too. And no blood or bloody feathers were found or seen. And she doesn't really seem to nest. Even when she lays eggs she just kinda does it from her perch, so my mom (her person) collects them together for her, and that's where she sits on them. Other than that she roosts on one of her perches.
Then the others may be correct, she may have mites, check her legs at night to see if you can see any that os when some mites come out. I would get her checked by a vet just in case. How many times does she lay eggs?

JadynA

Moving in
Then the others may be correct, she may have mites, check her legs at night to see if you can see any that os when some mites come out. I would get her checked by a vet just in case. How many times does she lay eggs?
She lays twice a year, usually between 3-4 eggs. And as I posted above, she is well on her way to recovery! :)