1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a dog "starve himself to death"?

Discussion in 'Bark Park' started by IsaDa18, 2/3/17.

1. IsaDa18

IsaDa18 Strolling the yard

My boy is very active, and after getting him back after a year he's losing his old weight fast, now that he has a chance to exercise and eat proper food with me, my question is can a dog loose too much weight without any dietary problems or sickness preventing him from eating?
    He's simply a dog that isn't very hungry, never has been, and he's vet checked (they say he has amazing health,) but seeing him lose weight makes me deeply anxious.

Edit: He became overweight when I wasn't able to care for him, But now his body is becoming very skinny and lean, so my anxiety is simply from watching an animal go from an unhealthy blob to a more defined, still changing weight.

2. Moshimaru

Moshimaru Sprinting down the street

As long as you can't easily see ribs he is fine. Also do remember that more active dogs need more food to help fuel them, so as long as he's not gaining back more weight just adjust as needed.

3. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    When was the last vet check? Things may have changed since then.

Patty Girl likes this.
  4. Bokkapooh

Bokkapooh Ripping up the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mercedez
    Losing weight fast does not sound very good. Have you checked him for worms? Or heart worms? He may need blood work done. A second opinion from a different vet should be considered too. Even for people, losing weight too fast is not healthy.

5. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    How much weight has he lost in how much time?

6. IsaDa18

He has unlimited access to food as he doesn't pig out like most dogs.
    I would feed him in meals but he usually just eats it when he feels like it anyway.

Last vet check up was probably a few days ago actually.

7. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna

So was the vet concerned?

8. IsaDa18

No. But I'm not worried about his weight loss, but rather how much weight he CAN lose, as in whether he can become underweight because of his appetite and exercise level.

9. Mizzely

Shawna

The short answer then is yes.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)