• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can 2 Rosey Bourkes live with 2 RRP's

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I have a few questions can Rosey bourkes live with red rumps? Does red rump eat the same food as rosey bourkes? I feed my rosey bourkes parakeet seeds,cockateils seed and parakeet pellet mixed together. I'am getting 2 red rumps for christmas, just doing research on them.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think that will be good for your Bourkes as Red Rumped are more active and can also be aggressive.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
live with
You'll need to explain this in more detail. This is all about environment. Always is.

Different species of parrots do not just get along or even tolerate each other and you should not expect them to. In time (a long time) if they are all living in a non-aggressive, large safe from each other environment they will learn to cohabitate and some might even make friends but it's not common. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I don't think that will be good for your Bourkes as Red Rumped are more active and can also be aggressive.
I didn't think they could share a cage, but sometimes you never know, doesn't hurt to ask. They will get their own cage.

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
Anyone know if I can feed them the same food?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes they eat the same food, but they also need fresh food, just like your Bourke's do.
And they need a very big cage or a lot of out of cage time.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I too have heard that red rumps can be very aggressive. We had a pair come into rescue years ago and I thought about it but decided not to after talking to Marie about them. And that isn't even sharing cages. Bourkes are very docile and likely wouldn't make it if the red rumps started a fight.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I will say it is indeed possible if the cage is large enough, but I would not recommend it right off the bat. Instead, make sure that they each have their own separate cages and, over time, if they get along, then you can certainly try introducing them together in one large cage. If they don't get along, then at least they have their own cages!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
As the others said, reds are very aggressive in comparison to more calm bourkes. IMO, I don't think you should cohabitate them ever, even if you have an aviary for them. Also, are you feeding any fresh food for your bourkes?? They definitely need it and reds will need it, too. Please resolve their diet before you get new birds, they need to have fresh food to be truly healthy.
I'am getting 2 red rumps for christmas, just doing research on them.
I'm glad you're doing your research but please listen to the other members' advice and feed your birds fresh foods if you aren't already. Also try to reduce the seeds a bit, I don't think 2/3 of their diet should be seed mixes even if they are grass parakeets (though I'm certainly no expert). Saying you're getting them for christmas worries me just because that's a deadline to work with and there never should be a complete deadline for researching parrots. Plus that's in just a few weeks.
Please feed your sweeties fresh foods and if you do go through with getting these two reds, be sure you're completely ready and have their diet decided and easy to transition into. Good luck with these two, wishing you the best! :)