• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can 2 canaries live together

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I've been wanting or atleast thinking about getting a canary, but can 2 canaries live together peacefully? Or would it be best to only have 1.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you mean in the same cage, or in the same room?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

If you are a beginner I would suggest 2 hens together. If you get a pair you are then setting them up for the next breeding season. Research would be needed for the breeding such as feather type when pairing, food requirements etc.

As finchly said for a cage only 1 male. I have an aviary with 3 males happily living together with the hens. I also do put several males together in a large flight cage at times and they do get on. For simplicity stick to one male.

Are you looking to breed? Will these be your first canaries? Canaries are very sociable mine move around as a flock.

Serin

I don't recommend two hens at all. All times I have tried, one will very aggressively attack the other.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Isnt that strange @Serin my hens do get on. But I will say I do select the calm ones to live together which does relate to your post. Some hens are loners..it depends on their personality.

Reactions: Jas

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have cages with 2-4 hens and have never, ever had a problem. Perhaps cage size is the issue? I use flight cages

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Same here @finchly..flight cages .not heard of hens not getting along before. Some can be more feisty. The norm is 3 hens to one cockbird too. I have 9 hens together in the aviary. .I agree, your definitely on to something about the space.

Serin

My issue was with two hens sharing a 10 x 12 room. It was chaos. One was just intent on killing the other. Its not all canaries but even numbers of the same sex is risky. Now when I had six hens there are no issues.... Aggression was diffused. But with two one can totally dominate.

It may have been one extra nasty hen... But one I had years ago, though not as bad would also aggressively chase the other I had at the time when I only had the two.

Canaries except one male female pair always had to have single cages here outside nesting time.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Poor things! Mine love being in community.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@Serin..I think this should be a fresh post "canary behaviour" so we can continue to work out why your canaries dont get along. .very puzzling...